The Ancient Book

5 Years later

It was those spring days with a kiss of coldness and some warmth of the rays of the shining sun. Callan bathed himself with sunshine in nothing but his bare essentials. He admired the nature at its best. The blossoming flowers, the sweet melody of the winged animals, the fresh sweet aroma of the land. These were the things which he loved being part of.

"Are you not done yet? I'm getting bored." A buff tall man with hairs around his entire body was lying lazily next to Callan.

"You are always ingrate about this place Archer. Why do you even follow me here?"

"Being your best friend it's my job to be with you. Always." Archer smirked and held Callan with one arm over his shoulder. "I don't know why you are so fascinated with these kind of places. We could have easily gone to the market in the human village today. It would have been so much fun."

"Even I want to meet Bradyn and his family. It has been weeks since I last visited the human village but I can't as I have to go the Alpha house today. I cannot come with you."

Archer squint his eyes and looked at his friend. "Why do you have to go to the Alpha house today? I thought today was your day off."

"It's a celebration actually." Callan gave a weak and unconvincing smile before saying "Richard has found his mate. Its Aldous' sister Madeline."

The governing age of Callan meant that it was time for his fellow counterparts to search for their respective mates. Almost every member of the pack who was of Callans age had marked their significant other. The ones who were yet to find their mate were sent as goodwill ambassadors to other packs in search for their mates. But Callan was advised to desist any hopes of finding his mate. Ever.

From a very young age he was taught about the customs and rituals about the werewolf community. He always considered himself a part of them. The most enchanting aspect about it was the feeling of being loved, the feeling of belonging and the feeling of acceptance, something which Callan was deprived throughout his very existence. He wanted to have what other people had. He wanted to share the bond, the relationship which his parents and every other couple in the pack had.

He wanted his Soul-Mate.

Justus knew that Callan was different from his peers. He understood that not only he had more struggles in his life but he would also be underprivileged at the boon of a mate by the moon goddess. The day after his sixteenth birthday Callan was devastated with the account from his father that he may never have a chance at a mate or of true love altogether. Callan cried his heart out in the arms of his best friend. The news was annihilation of his very soul, the very aspect of his being, of his existence was missing.

In the years to come he gathered courage to portray a fake façade in the eyes of everyone else. Some people sympathized with him while the others believed that Luna was justified in her doing and not granting him a mate. The irony of it being that every woman in the pack wished that the Luna paired them with the handsome man.

The Alpha celebrated every new bonding in the pack. Callan was happy for them but he used to be disheartened at the same time for he may never have his chance of true love to share with his special person. The only one thing he yearned to have; Love.

Archer waved his hands in front of Callan to get his attention. Callan blinked his glossy eyes and parted his lips to give another of his fake smiles. But Archer knew every time when the boy was not being true. In fact they were so close that one could discern every emotion of the other, without any saying.

"Don't worry Callan, the goddess must have thought something for you, something special. You will definitely have your chance at true love. Who knows Viola could be the one for you." Archer patted his back in assurance.