The Alpha and the Witch

Leila continuously sways her feet together, her upper limbs on both sides of her thighs supporting her weight. Diverting her attention from the quiet Alpha in front of her, she scans the entirety of his home office. Much to her dismay, she wasn't able to catch a glimpse of his office in the packhouse.

She glances at Chris, who still sits silently, his eyes now on her.

Is he taunting me? Is he doing this so I'll explain more about the vampire? If so, what else haven't I told him? She huffs and places her hands on her hips.

"For the umpteenth time, I have no idea what else was wrong with the goddamned vampire!" Leila declares as she slams her hands on the wooden table, strands of her light blonde hair falling in front of her eyes. Her face has become reddish at her outburst, her heart thumping strongly inside her ribcage at the thought of the dead. "I already told you what I know and if you interrogate me more about the vampire I accidentally killed, it'll bring back the memory in my head. I don't need to recall the previous events. It's already giving me nightmares!"

Chris sits upright, unwavering at the sight of Leila's frustration. "Will you calm down, Ms. Snow? I wasn't planning on asking you more about the death of the vampire yesterday."

Leila leans back, a puzzled expression on her face. Her complexion slowly returns to its normal olive color. "What? Then why weren't you saying anything?"

"I was communicating with the Sentinels."

Leila sinks back in her seat, the blood rushing to her face once again. She thought the Alpha was taunting him when he stared at her with a serious expression. She ultimately assumed he would have questioned her yet again about the dead vampire, and it came back to bite her in the ass.

"You could have said something about it instead of keeping silent." Leila crosses her arms and leans back on her seat, defeated. He wasn't doing it on purpose, and it's not something Leila understands and have experienced firsthand.

Although witches were given the proper education to understand the nature of supernatural beings such as themselves and the existence of werewolves, she still couldn't comprehend the physiology behind the telepathic communication between the pack members. Like them, other species also have magical energy. The magical energy they have is the catalyst of their supernatural abilities—their enhanced senses and telepathic ability at most. However, witches hone their magical energy and use it for creation, rituals, healing, and, if push comes to shove, attack, and defense magic. Curses are part of the forbidden magic that witches in training aren't allowed to touch.

Chris ignores her remark and puts his clasped hands. His evergreen orbs stare straight into her eyes, and he says, "I'm here to ask you a question."

Leila raises an eyebrow at him in question, waiting for him to continue. Chris once again falls into silence for a full minute, frustrating the young witch. "Well? Get on with the question."

"My apologies, Ms. Snow. I keep getting unnecessary reports." Chris closes his eyes for a while and slams his hands on the desk softly. "That should take care of 'em."

"Alpha Chris? The question?"

"Right! I was wondering. I know it was mere speculation, but is there a possibility of witches cursing a vampire into submission? As far as I was made aware, curses don't work on creatures who are dead."

"I haven't the slightest idea. There have been no records of witches cursing vampires—may it be out of spite or into submission. At least, none of which I have read..." Leila drags on and pauses, remembering the restricted section of the library in their coven's temple. It holds records of the first witches to ever exist, as well as every other coven that has been formed.