Family Dinner

"What? Leandre and his family are coming?!"

"Yep," Valerie casually answers, plopping the 'p.'

She was busy picking a shade for the blush for my makeup. She said she wanted me to look my best because people are coming over for dinner and especially because it's my birthday. I didn't even realize that Leandre's family would come, too.

When I got home earlier, Valerie hurriedly urged me to take a bath so that the two of us can get ready together. I had no idea what she was talking about and she scolded me saying I should be more aware of the things happening around me.

How could I be aware when they didn't even tell me anything about a dinner party?

"Since you're so unaware of things pack-related, I guess I should be the one to tell you. Tomorrow, there will be a garden party in front of the packhouse. You should know that because it's for you and your successful shifting process last midnight," Valerie gushes and smirks. "I'll make you the star of the party."

"You don't mean that... literally, right?" For all I know, she'd put on a star headband on my head, draw a star on my forehead, or make me wear a star costume. She did that once when we were in sixth grade.

Valerie laughs, the memory flashing in her head as well. "I could mean it literally, but for this time that's not going to happen. I'll make you look like the Goddess Luna. Though the Moon Goddess doesn't have an exact name, she was sometimes pertained to as the Goddess Luna. The reason why the pack calls the Alpha Female the Luna of the pack is because they protect their pack members, just as how the Goddess herself protected her children and punished those who brought harm."

"Are you seriously giving me a history lesson while putting makeup on me?"

"Duh. You're supposed to know these things as one of the Alpha Heirs. Plus, your Leandre's soon-to-be Luna if you accept him as your mate. You're expected to know this much and be Leandre's equal," Valerie explains. "Don't worry. After dinner, I'll give you the summary I made for the Nycthopian history and werewolf lessons I took. You'll be done reading it in a flash."

I smile softly at Valerie's excitement. I guess she had long wanted to share these things with me but refrained from doing so.

"Right. I can't wait."

"Finally! You're enthusiastic about your werewolf education! I was getting worried!"

Valerie puts a lip tint on my lips as a finishing touch before placing the makeup on my vanity table. She claps her hands together and excitedly cheers, "Yes! Done! You look naturally beautiful today."

She moves away from the vanity table and proceeds to my closet. I don't know which outfit she'll take out of there, most of my clothes are plain anyway.

I stare at myself in the mirror. Valerie did a great job at making me look pretty and accentuating my features. She even put my hair in a braided updo. I check the side of my head to see the hair accessory she placed. It was a dark red rose. Though it somehow gave me an ominous feeling.

Thankfully, the auras went away. I guess there's a specific trigger to them that I'm going to need to learn later.

"Voila!" Valerie exclaimed, showing me a long-sleeved red dress. "Since it's your birthday, you'll be wearing red."

I frown. "Where did you even get that? I don't remember owning something like that."

"I bought it two days ago, silly!"

I shrug and just go with it. My birthdays have always been celebrated with family and friends, so it wasn't anything new. However, this time, Leandre and his family are coming.