十八

minho runs after jisung and catches up with him, "hey, why did you suddenly leave? i thought u wanted to ride the rollercoaster"

jisung doesn't reply minho. instead, he continued walking in silence, making minho worried.

"jisung?" he asks in concern, only for jisung to look up at him sadly. minho immediately notices jisung's teary eyes and it seemed like he was about to cry any time soon.

"hey, you alright?" minho's voice was now soft and gentle. he had never seen jisung this sad, he was always this cheerful and energetic boy who never seemed to show any negative emotions.

jisung shakes his head, sniffling a little as he blinks away the tears. "you should go hang out with your friends. i don't think it'll be that fun hanging out with me, i wouldn't want to burden you"

jisung's words make minho frown, he never thought of jisung as a burden. in reality, jisung made him happier than many of his other friends.

it saddened minho to think that jisung thought of himself as a burden, when he was far from one.

"you know, if you asked me to choose between hanging out with you or hanging out with those two, i would choose you. no doubt. those two are always so affectionate around each other anyways, it makes me feel uncomfortable" minho says, trying to make jisung smile.

it works and jisung cracks a small smile. "they're gay too?"

minho nods, "isn't it obvious with the way they acted around each other? they have had a crush on each other for YEARS. c'mon, follow me" minho says as he gestures for jisung to follow him, and he hesitantly does so.

minho walks up to the ferris wheel, the huge one they saw from the mall earlier on. "let's take this ride. it's really high so we'll be able to overcome your fear of heights. i'm actually trying to overcome it as well" minho says as he looks up at the gigantic ferris wheel.

jisung looks at minho, "you're afraid of heights? then why did you agree to go on the rollercoaster?"

minho smiles, "i would do it for you" without letting jisung respond, he quickly went to the back of the queue and started waiting.

jisung gapes, his mind blank after what minho had said to him. "that was such a cringy line, but why do i like it?" jisung shudders, before joining minho in the queue.

minho looks at jisung, checking whether he was still upset. jisung had already seemed to cheer up a little, his eyes were no longer teary, but he was barely smiling.

soon enough, the boys hopped onto one of the cages, and the staff locks the door. minho peers out of the cage as the ferris wheel starts, his palms starting to turn clammy.

"it's actually really high, oh shit" minho curses as he looks away from the window and tries to distract himself by looking at jisung.

he lets out a laugh once he looks at jisung, who was busy clinging on to the seat. "i really hate this, why did i even agree to this?"

"earlier on, when you talked about being a burden. you know that's not true right? its far from the truth" minho says as he tries to comfort jisung.

jisung looks sadly at minho, "but, you looked really happy with them. whenever you're with me in public, you get weird stares from people and sometimes they even call you crazy"

"you're worried about that? why would i care what others think about me? yes sure, i'm happy when i'm with my other friends, but i'm even happier when i'm with you. don't you see it?"

jisung doesn't know how to respond and stays silent, picking at his fingernails.

minho took in a deep breath, mustering up his courage. "can't you tell? i like you. a lot" he confesses, his heart pounding against his ribcage.

jisung is taken aback, he had already read minho's diary, but he never expected minho to confess like this.

"y-you can't. i'm a ghost and you're a human. we're from different worlds" jisung protests, even though he knew that he had feelings for minho as well. he wouldn't want to sacrifice minho's happiness.

"i know, i know we'll never be able to hold hands or hug each other. heck, we won't even be able to talk casually in public. but i can't seem to stop these feelings, and i know you feel the same about me too"

although minho sounded confident, he was a nervous wreck on the inside. he had never openly confessed to anyone like this before.

"please" minho breathes out, desperate for jisung's answer. jisung bites his lips, his head was about to burst from all the thinking he was doing.

'he's right. i like him, a lot. but isn't it so selfish of me to just confess to him like this? what if he isn't happy with me? what if he gets tired of me? what if i suddenly disappear? he would be the one suffering'

minho seems to read jisung's mind, and he gets up and sits right next to jisung, making the cage swing.

"don't do that, oh my god" jisung says as he clings onto the side of the cage, holding on for dear life.

minho looks at jisung straight in the eyes, silently demanding an answer. jisung sighs, closing his eyes. 'fuck it. i'm happy with him'

he opens his eyes again and scoots closer to minho. they were now sitting extremely close together, their shoulders almost touching.

jisung rests one hand on his knee, palms up, waiting for minho to hold it. well, hover his hand on it.

"we can't really hold hands but, we can pretend like we are" jisung says softly.

minho looks at jisung's extended palm, before resting his hand mid air, interlocking his own hand with jisung's. he couldn't feel jisung, as expected. but he did feel his heart race as he turns to smile at jisung.

jisung looks away in embarrassment, wondering whether he had made the right choice by confessing his feelings

minho stares at the both of their hands. they couldn't feel each other, but it felt and looked so real to minho. he felt heat creeping up his neck as he stared at their interlocked hands, internally screaming.

both of the boys were so immersed in their own feelings, they never noticed jisung's body fading a little. just a little. he was now a little more translucent, but it wasn't very obvious. not obvious enough for the boys to notice.

just a short author's note :
heyy,, i've been fretting over this chapter, wondering whether the boys' relationship should be progressing this fast. i decided to make the story a little fast paced because i didn't want to drag this story on for too long because i'll easily lose motivation that way. please understand that this is a short story so i'm trying to keep within a certain number of chapters. thank you so much for your support 🥺🥰