Lady Earthquake Chapter 32

Winter came in like a hungry wolf, clawing at the door. The aftershocks from the earthquake were soon forgotten, though the good will of Huidan remained. Even three months later, gifts regularly arrived from grateful citizens, not all addressed to Shu Ban-Li. The twin girls were happily married off to two of the soldiers who had come to the city's rescue, though the elder daughter of the Widow Deng had not yet given up all hope of winning the young man's heart.

"I have told her a dozen times that I am too young to get married," he said, his elbow resting on the chess board as he waited, chin in hand, for Master Cho to make a move.

"Every man is too young to get married right up until the day he decides he is too old." He placed a piece on the board.

"Is that wisdom or just cleverness?" Ban-Li placed a piece as well, almost at random.

"If you are not going to pay attention to the game, why are we playing it?"

"To learn strategy, or so Captain says." He sniffled and wiped his pink-rimmed eyes. "I hate this. Why do I have to stay cooped up here? This incense makes my sniffling even worse."

"It is good for your lung function. And it is too cold for you to go out. The weather is threatening to snow."

"It would not have hurt me any to run down to the Colonel's for the latest letters. I am going crazy sitting here." Another piece went down on the board. Then the hoarse voices of the guards outside greeted the captain and Ban-Li sat up.

"Stay wrapped in those furs," Master Cho said sharply as the wind came swirling in, bringing Sun-Sin with it.

"Look to yourself, Master," Ban-Li said. "I have won the game."

"What?"

But Ban-Li lost interest when he saw the expression on Sun-Sin's face as he unwrapped the scarf from around his mouth and jaw. He looked an inquiry and got a slow nod in response. Ban-Li tried not to jump about in his seat.

"I hope you did not bet anything that you would rather not lose, Master Cho," Sun-Sin said, shaking the flakes off his heavy cloak.

"Oh, no. I learned my lesson when he swindled me out of my best steel dagger."

"I let you win it back." Ban-Li started picking up the pieces, placing them in their baskets. Trying not to sniffle, he coughed instead. "Excuse me."

Sun-Sin came over to the players and put his hand on top of his adjutant's head. "Are you feverish?"

"No, sir." Ban-Li tossed his head to get free.

"If you have a fever, I am sending for the camp physician."

"In this weather? Uncle Mo will be in soon with more licorice tea. That is all I need." He smiled up at Sun-Sin, hoping he did not look as bad as he felt. "I am improving; I can feel it."

"Do you want to play again?" Master Cho asked.

"No, thank you. I think I should lie down and rest for a while."

Master Cho bundled up and left. Ban-Li called a belated 'thank you for your time'. "It was good of him to come," he said as Sun-Sin sat down behind his desk. "Is that the letter you were waiting for?"

"It is. Now leave me in peace while I decipher it. If you are going to lie down, lie down and be quiet."

"Nag, nag, nag," Ban-Li muttered, carrying his wolf pelt rugs over to his bed. He glanced at Sun-Sin but the captain had apparently heard nothing. He considered saying it again, merely to be provoking. He held back, however, because he wanted to know what that letter said. The last message from Chen-Di had indicated that whether the Yiang troops were moving or staying put, he might send Sun-Sin over the border on an espionage mission to clarify the situation. Ban-Li was determined that if Captain went into danger, his adjutant would go too.