Lady Earthquake Chapter 35

Ban-Li considered feigning an illness, something virulently contagious, to keep out of General Hsia's sight. His disguise had stood up to scrutiny, even Sun-Sin's sometimes unnervingly close attention. Recalling that Zang Tang-Su had seen 'Shu Ban-Li' without instantly naming him as General Li's lost granddaughter gave him some confidence, though that had been a brief meeting, never repeated. Living in the same camp with General Hsia would give him many chances to rouse unwelcome recollections.

As though she stood before her mentor yet again, Ban-Li heard Madame Jiu's voice. "Walk with your head held high as though you will not step out of your path for any man under the rank of a prince...There have been other women who successfully fooled armies and emperors. Believe you are a man. No one will suspect anything if you live the role, not merely play the role."

Ban-Li straightened his shoulders, held his head high, and marched with a debonair swing of his arms into the General's presence. Despite his projected confidence, inside he felt grateful that Sun-Sin's height and breadth stood between him and Hsia.

"It is good to see you again, your highness," Hsia said with his over-weighted laugh. "I will not leave you in suspense. Your troop, the Wild Hawks, are to leave at once to take up a position at the post on the western border between us and Yiang. Once established, you will keep a close watch for the invasion we know they are preparing."

"Yes, sir."

"Of course, the odds of your seeing any action there is remote at best. Our best estimate is that the Yiangs will attempt to invade from the East as the terrain is better for horses and the distance is much less if their wish is to take our capital." He brushed a little imaginary dandruff from his brave epaulettes. "We have orders to defend it to the last man if any Yiang worms crawl so far."

"Our army is stronger than theirs," Sun-Sin said with a proud lift to his chin that made Ban-Li lift his a little higher as well. "We will undoubtedly overcome them, sir, if well-commanded."

General Hsia frowned. "Have you any doubts about that?"

"No, sir. Merely a historical comment."

"I see." After a moment, Hsia's laugh broke out again. "We shall have a long talk about history over dinner and I am sure I will learn much from one so well educated."

Sun-Sin bowed his thanks. "If my troop is to leave at once, sir, there will be much for me to attend to. May I defer your kind invitation until I return? No doubt then we shall have a victory to celebrate as well as our meeting."

"Come now. What have you an adjutant for if not to attend to these dull details?"

Ban-Li came to the conclusion a bit too late that because someone was not looking at him still might mean they were thinking of him. When General Hsia's protruding eyes swiveled in his direction, confidence seemed a threadbare cloak indeed. "Is this the famous Adjutant Shu who is spoken of with such praise in the capital? Take care, your highness, that his fame does not eclipse your own."

Sun-Sin stood a little straighter, if possible. "I have no such fears. I do not care about fame. And mighty in the field though my adjutant may be, I dare not leave the details of a decampment to him. Shu would have us setting up camp in the heart of the Yiang capital in anticipation of our triumph."

"It is rare to see such a friendship," Hsia said, leaning forward in his chair. "Tell me, where did you first meet?"

Ban-Li did not require a warning glance from Sun-Sin to know he had to be careful. "I do not recall, sir. Do you, Captain? It was so long ago."

"One of those childhood friendships that never died," Sun-Sin said, smiling.

"But you are so much older, obviously." General Hsia drummed his fingers on his knee.