Lady Earthquake Chapter 46

Sun-Sin lost the servant put on his trail by ducking around a corner, leaping over a wall, and crouching down on the far side. The clerk waited for a few minutes, listening for any sound. Sun-Sin's patience paid off when the clerk left but he stayed still for another five minutes to make certain. He spent the time remembering the times he had seen An-Xia dancing. He only hoped one day to put the same exhilaration in her eyes without all the swirling draperies and dangerous blades. He found himself grinning like a wild wolf in the darkness.

As he had once before, he sought out Miss Lung's room. He could not bring himself to leave without seeing his unusual beloved one more time as it might be more than a week before he would have another opportunity. Neither the fiercest dragon or the most beautiful woman in the world could keep him from wanting to see those straight brows and honest eyes again. A few guards and nosy clerks did not even weigh in the balance.

As before, he heard voices. "You must have a preference." Miss Lung's slightly metallic tones seemed to ring as soullessly as a bell.

"I do. As I have said."

Sun-Sin laughed to himself. "When will you learn your lesson about eavesdropping? Oh, too late...."

"I think it is the Third Prince you admire so intensely," Miss Lung said. "One's heart inclines toward the taller of the two. And his jawline is better."

"You think so? I had not noticed it." A moment's pause. "Thank you for helping me with my hair earlier. I envy how long yours is. Mine was like that too, once."

"Why did you cut it?"

"I...I had to cut out a comb that got tangled," An-Xia said. "There was no choice but to even out the ends."

"How careless. I trust you punished your servant?"

"I did it myself. But I shall be most careful while I comb yours."

"When will you tell me which prince you like the most?" Miss Lung entreated. "Are we not friends? Do you not call me 'sister'?"

"Is it typical for sisters to tell each other such things? You have several. Do you tell them the secrets of your heart?"

"They chatter so that no secret is safe with them. But I am no magpie to squawk and call aloud. Is it the Third Prince?"

"No," An-Xia said at last. Sun-Sin saluted her good taste. "It is the Fourth. But I know it is hopeless to yearn. They are not for the likes of us, these sons of Heaven."

Sun-Sin did not like to hear the resignation in her tone, as though she had come to a conclusion so evident that there was no room for argument even in her thoughts. His desire to see her one last time before his journey became determination. One of the two would have to come out of their room, An-Xia for preference. But how to arrange it? He began to revolve plans in his mind.

"Would you care for more tea?" An-Xia asked.

"I would prefer wine." The sound of a hand-clap. "Where has that foolish maid gone to now?"

"We sent the girl for cold noodles, remember? I will go find someone." Inside the room, An-Xia rose from her knees. Handing Miss Lung the comb, she stepped out into the dark corridor.

In the halls of the palace after curfew, silence ruled. All the bustling maids and hurrying eunuchs had gone to their well-earned rest, except for those few on night duty. If she avoided the residence areas of the higher-ups, no one would question her unless, by ill chance, she ran into a guard patrol. An-Xia kept her head down and tried to avoid looking at any lanterns in order to preserve her night-sight.

It was pleasant to be alone. Miss Lung had developed an irritating habit of asking probing questions about men, especially princes, and An-Xia found it exhausting to keep turning the conversation in safer directions. She wanted to cherish her happiness by keeping it warm in her heart, not chill it by casting it to the four winds.