Chapter 4 - The Adventure Begins

Skies over Eigaden

Claire gasped as weightlessness settled over her, pitching her stomach. It lasted no more than a few seconds each time Koldis dropped in elevation. Like being in an elevator just before it stopped.

The moment her stomach settled, he swerved. This time she squealed, clasping her hand over her mouth at the entirely undignified sound of it. A draconic rumble came from beneath her. "Sorry, just avoiding the seagulls."

"Seagulls?!" she screeched. "What seagulls?!"

"You know, the ones over...Oh. I don't see them any more."

She smacked his scales and regretted it, rubbing her hand to diminish the sting. "How about a little warning next time, huh?"

"Of course, my lady. My apologies."

She rolled her eyes and didn't bother with a response. Perhaps unwise. Not two minutes later, he did the same thing again, pitching to the side. "Koldis!" Once more, she cried out clinging onto his scales for dear life.

"Pardon me. Just had to change direction a bit."

"Yeah, right! You're doing it on purpose!"

There was a brief hesitation, then—"Maybe just a little. If you stopped cawing like a bird every time, I'd be less tempted."

"Ugh, that's enough! Wipe that smugness out of your voice."

"Yes, my lady. At once."

"I'm serious! I'll jump off your back if you don't warn me next time. And you'll have to come catch me. Or explain to Talon how you're responsible for me splatting all over the ground." She would never have the courage for it. But he didn't need to know that.

He grumbled, perhaps a laugh at her threat. The sound radiated through her. "Tighten the harness around your legs. You're not going to fall off."

She did as he said, pulling the belts tighter and adjusting the fastenings.

Hours had come and gone since departing Fort Kastali. The sun was well into the sky, blanketing the land in a glow like spun gold. She inhaled, letting the cool autumn air sting her nose. She'd have frozen to death in the sky by now, were it not for the furnace of scales beneath her. Koldis was a living, breathing radiator.

As she gazed out over the landscape, she thought about what they had to do. What she had to do. Defeating the Vodar. It felt like a monumental task, but what choice was there?

"Banking right." Koldis broke her train of thought. She tightened her grip on the harness just in time. He dropped his right wingtip and the ground below tilted. Her stomach lurched. She soon found herself sideways in the air. They adjusted their direction and Koldis straightened out.

A smile tempted her lips. "At least you warned me this time."

"You threatened to jump off my back if—"

"Yes, yes. I was just teasing-arrahhh." Her words ended in another screech as her stomach flew into her ribcage. Koldis abruptly dropped ten feet. She groaned, trying to shake the sudden onset of nausea. "Okay! I get it! No teasing. But it's not like you're any better. That was unfair and you know it."

"I shall warn you next time," he said, voice laced with smug amusement.

"Gee...thanks."

Beneath them, the northern coastline of Galadhal sailed smoothly by. The Scattered Islands were to their left, with clusters of land sprinkled like freckles over the water. The Great Eigaden Peninsula was to their right, with its vast sprawling plains covered in long amber grass.