Duty Calls

Author: I made a map based on my imagination but it's very vague. Just to help us with understanding the story. The names are all made up because I don't know what to use anymore... Bahahaha. Thanks for reading and enjoying the story so far and Happy New Year :)

--------------

After Ying Yue informed the emperor about Li Jian's messages, she went back home as Yin and spent time with her parents again. She even talked about Ting Ting whom she brought to meet secretly from the general residence of Yin.

She only went back to become Yin when Pei Zhi informed her and had met with General Han at times to drink and talk about the situation at the Southern border.

"I will go back tomorrow as I miss my family", said General Han. "Come visit us when you can".

Yin was silent as she was in deep thought. Currently, there are not enough helpers for the Southern border to prepare for the rainy season as the Southern General had intel that the nomads were going to war with them soon.

After contemplating, she then faces General Han and said: "I will go with you then".

General Han was surprised but he was happy to hear the words.

Yin immediately went to stand and excuse herself as she went back to the residence and wrote a letter to the emperor regarding the matter of her leave. And told Pei Zhi to prepare for departure as well as pass the message to Lieutenant General Ting Ting who can leave when she is ready.

She then went to her parent's house and was greeted by her mother who had waited in the backyard for her. Yin had always worn a black mask that cover half of her face whenever she flew to the General's residence and took it off once she had arrived at the backyard.

Ying Fan saw her daughter's serious expression and knew something was wrong but before she could ask, Ying Yue had looked her in the eyes when she said "I am going to leave tomorrow"

Ying Fan was used to her husband's departure without warning but Ying Yue was her only daughter that she could not help but be worried again. "Why so soon?" she asked as her hands unconsciously tighten their hold on Ying Yue's shoulder.

Ying Yue looked at her mother's eyes and could see her worry so she smiled and said, "They do not have enough help at the Southern border and the flood will be coming soon".

This made Ying Fan even more worried as a bad feeling arose from her gut so she tried to get Ying Yue to stay even for a couple more days.

"Mother has lied to everyone except to your father and the emperor about what you have been doing these years. Everyone thought you are currently training with your father's side of the family to become a soldier and does not know that you are already a general. So please grant mother's wish to spend a few more days with you", Ying Fan knew she was selfish and had tried to guilt-trip her own daughter just to get her to stay but she did not care.

But Ying Yue was a stubborn person who can see through her mother's words. So, she gave a warm smile and said, "Every second wasted will affect multiple lives. I must go there as soon as possible to help with reducing the aftermath".

Ying Fan suddenly realize that Ying Yue was no longer her daughter, but she was a grown-up general who serves the country. Nothing she said could affect Ying Yue now so she had an acknowledging look and embrace her daughter as she said, "Farewell and be safe".

Ying Yue then told her mother to pass on the letter to the emperor and tell her father Ying Jun about what she was going to do.

Ying Fan stayed in the backyard, even after Ying Yue's figure had gone and looks up at the sky, hoping that the bad feeling she felt was just a false alarm.