Witches

Stockholm, Sweden

Malin Matsdotter was accused of witchcraft by her own daughters. They claimed she kidnapped her grandchildren and took them to a witches sabbath rite.
She denied all charges, even when she was being tortured.

Between 1668 and 1676, over 200 people in Sweden were condemned to death for witchcraft, unfortunately Malin was one of them.

They sentenced her to be burned alive, unlike other cases where women were strangled or beheaded first.

On 5th August 1676, Malin was burned alive, still claiming her innocence as she died.

The Witch of Yazoo.

Legend say's on the 25th May 1884 the local sheriff found two skeletons hanging up in a witch's shack. After chasing her , she ran into quick sand and drowned. As she was sinking she vowed to take revenge on the city claiming ' in 20 years , she will return and burn the town to the ground' .

20 years later a huge fire broke out and destroyed over 200 buildings. The day after some of the residents visited her grave and found the big , chunky chain that was around her grave was broken in two.

Hannah cranna

Hannah Cranna, Gregory's Four corners Burial Ground.
An American lady called Hannah Cranna Hovey was a suspected witch after her husband died under mysterious circumstances. Hannah claimed he went for a walk and randomly fell off a cliff.

After the death of her husband, she relied on neighbours to help her with fire wood and food. Hannah wasn't the type of person to mess with. Those who refused to help would be cursed, just like anyone on her property if they didn't have permission. However, she wasn't all bad, if she liked you she would cast good spells for you.

After the death of her pet, she informed her neighbour that when she passed away she wanted her coffin to be carried on foot to the graveyard.

Apparently they didn't listen to her wishes and tried to bring her coffin in by sleigh.
Even in death, Hannah wasn't going out up with that and as a result her coffin 'fell off' . They then decided to carry out her wishes.

Some say her spirit wanders the cemetery she is buried in.

Patrick Morton was a 16 years old when he made allegations and accusations of witchcraft against some of his neighbours in the village of Pittenweem in Scotland

Beatrice Laing, the wife of a former town treasurer was accused of sending evil thoughts to torture him.

She was arrested and put into a dark dungeon for five months. After suffering several trips to the torture chamber, she was set free. She died not long after being released.

Thomas Brown was another person excused by Patrick. Thomas starved to death in the dungeon.

Janet Cornfoot was the third person he accused. She managed escape on 30th January 1705 but was re captured when she returned home. She was beaten and dragged to the seafront by a mob. She was then tied to a ship where she swung, whilst getting beaten before being crushed to death. If that wasn't bad enough, to make sure she was dead, a man drove his horse and cart over her several times. Her body was thrown into a communal grave known as witches corner, after being refused a Christian burial.

All the other people were eventually freed. Patrick was exposed as a liar but he was never brought to justice.