Chapter 3: The farmer is awkward

"How did your job go, sir?"

The old lady asked as she scooped up a bowl of potato stew for him. The man clad in white sighed, "The undead corpses doesn't seem to be going away. There must be some kind of...

Jin Guang Yao couldn't help but to stare at his handsome face as he ate his food. Lan Xi Chen didn't age a bit; his face still young. He had almond shaped eyes, a sharp jawline and long black hair but Jin Guang Yao could tell something was off about him. His eyes had shrunk from fatigue, and there was a cold lonely aura around him.

"He looks sad...I wonder why?"

He didn't expect to bump into Lan Xi Chen. It's as if they're actually connected by fate. His heart raced as he thought about it.

As his mother and Lan Xi Chen talked, he silently cleaned his plate. The two were awfully close, to the point Lan Xi Chen would complain about his troubles to her and she would silently nod and give him advice. Jin Guang Yao remembered that he was once in that position too...

"I'm just a stranger to him now."

Once he finished eating, he stood up from his seat and was about to take his wooden bowl to wash when his mother called him. She cleared her throat. "Ah Ming, do you have something to say?" She signaled with her eyes but he couldn't understand what she meant. She turned to Lan Xi Chen.  "I'm sorry sir, my son has no manners...." Then, she looked back at Jin Guang Yao "Say thank you to him," she said.

"Ah—Thank you sir f-for helping me recover," the shorter man said, with a slight bow.

After saying that, he quickly dashed to the kitchen to clean his bowl. His face felt hot.

"Why did I stutter?" He muttered to himself, rubbing his flushed face with his palms. "Ahhh, now I look like a shy little girl to him!!!" He shook his head, cringing.
.
.
.
.
.

"What's wrong with him?" His mother raised an eyebrow as she looked from afar.

"Aunty, your son is just like you," Lan Xi Chen said. The old woman laughed, slapping his back. "I get that a lot. He has my eyes but I was much more prettier when I was his age," she said. "He even has my dimples," she added, smiling.

"Ah, someone I knew had dimples too..." he muttered, looking down.

"Who?" She asked.

"A close friend. We were just like brothers and maybe, we could have been something much more..."