Chapter 9: Who are you exactly?

When he got home, he found a white sect uniform in his bedroom. The old lady was also happy to hear the news. De Ming never had the chance to go to school in the village when he was younger because they couldn't afford to pay for the expensive fees there. Becoming a Gusu Lan Sect dispicle was like striking the lottery, she had to invite Wei Wu Xian and the others to dinner to thank them. That same night, his mother prepared another feast, getting the ingredients from the chef's kitchen. This time it was a steamboat which consisted of; quail eggs, fresh lettuce, mushrooms, potatoes, radish, carrots and chicken meat. Wei Wu Xian was accompanied by his husband, they chatted happily together with the old lady while Jin Guang Yao was silently eating at the edge of the dining table. 

"Is Zewujun busy?" Jin Guang Yao asked the man clad in black. Meanwhile, his mother and Wang Ji were having a Q & A session. Mostly, it was the mother talking and the man nodding with a 'mn' or shaking his head. 

"Yes, he is. He was really sad that he can't join. Why? You miss him? Eh~" Wei Wu Xian grinned, nudging his elbow at him. Jin Guang Yao nudged back and frowned. "No!" 

"But you're flushi—mph! Mph!"

The shorter man shoved a piece of meat into Wei Wu Xian's mouth before he could finish his sentence. He was so annoyed at him, grabbing more food to put on his plate. The man in black ate the food, his eyes curved upwards, feeling a sense of joy in his teasing.

_____

Next day.

After his farming work in the early morning with his mother, he went back to the cottage to prepare for classes in the afternoon. He wore his white robe and combed his long black hair, tying it in a loose ponytail. Glancing at the small mirror in his room, he looked more like a noble now than a farmer. His mother kept saying how good-looking he was—a rare compliment coming from her. He walked out of house with a big grin, his dimples showing and all the other servants nearby couldn't help but to admire him.

He arrived in class, standing in front of his seat. Beside him was another guest disciple, a young man with fair skin and cute round eyes. His forehead had a vermilion mark. Jin Guang Yao recognized this person.It was his nephew, Jin Ling. As usual, he had a sense of rebellious teen air. His eyebrows were constantly in a straight line and his lips pouted like a duck. The teen looked like he was forced to be here. 

But...How is he taller than me?

Jin Guang Yao complained in his heart. Did his nephew grow taller? Why am I still the shortest in the room? This is unfair!

The teacher arrived in class, he greeted the students and they bowed back at him. The teacher in this class was not Lan Xi Chen but Lan Qi Ren, the former Gusu Lan Sect leader. Today's lesson was about the first 2000 rules in Gusu Lan Sect. As the old man stroked his long beard and explained each rule passionately, Jin Guang Yao heard snoring sounds. He looked beside him to see Jin Ling sleeping, a book covering his face to hide his act.

He saw another young man behind him, trying to wake him up only to be making more noise and alerting Lan Qi Ren. The old man scolded them and gave everyone a long lecture about paying attention in class. Jin Guang Yao could only shake his head.

_

It was the end of the class and he went to grab some food to eat. His eyes were bright as he saw the variety of bread to choose from, he snuck a few in his pocket for his mother. Happily, he sat on a stone bench beside a pond, opened his mouth to bite his roll of bread but a hand came in an slapped on his food. Losing his grip, the bread falls to the ground in slow motion with a 'plop'. Jin Guang Yao stared at the sad wasted piece of food, crying in his heart. MY BREAD!

"Why did you do that?"

He looked up to see not just one but three disciples, he recognize they were from the same class as him just now. The young man in the middle was slightly buffer than the others, his nose was tilted upwards, full of ego. He assumed this was the leader of the group.

"You're that farmer here right? How did a dirty peasant like you manage become a disciple?" The leader asked, crossing his arms. "You look weak just like a girl!" the other one said. "Yeah, what a loser, hahaha!" The one next to him joined.

Jin Guang Yao raised an eyebrow. This situation.....am I being bullied?  This was no surprise to him. He had to deal with this in his past since he was a kid but that time everyone called him a son of a prostitute, and more worse, horrible things. Compared to that, these spoiled rich brats' insults were like ant bites to him, barely hurting. Should I just teach them a lesson? But I'm just one person, I can't take all of them...Or should I try it out

"Hey! You brats, what are you doing to him?"

Jin Ling barges into them, his hand shielded over Jin Guang Yao. "Are you bullying people again? Do you have nothing else better to do?" He continued, furrowing his eyebrows.

The leader tsked, he was not pleased. "Jin Ling, he's a mere peasant—

"So what? I don't care! Now, scram before I call for help!" The young man cuts in. 

The leader rolled his eyes, gesturing the other two to leave with him. "If only the Yiling Patriarch wasn't here, I would have beat you up to a pulp for talking shit to me like that just now," he spat on the ground, stomping away. 

Once they were gone, Jin Ling turned to the young man who was shorter than him. He knew that this man was a new disciple here. He passed his own bread to him.

"No, you don't need too.." Jin Guang Yao pushed it back.

"Take it, I have more," Jin Ling insisted with a warm smile.

He accepted the bread, with a 'thanks'. He ate the bread, feeling a sense of shame. I can't believe I let my nephew stand up for me and he gave me bread with a pitty look...Ahahaha.... He didn't know whether  to laugh or cry in this situation. Then again, he was glad to see how his nephew had changed his bad attitude, he was much more mature and kind now.

"Those three use to bully me too, but you don't have to worry now because I'm here," he proudly told, patting his chest. "I'm Jin Ling and you?"

"Chen De Ming, I work as farmer with my mother in the Cloud Recesses Garden."

"A farmer and you're studying at the same time as well??? That's amazing!"

"And I never really noticed that there was garden here...what do you plant?" He asked, his eyes twinkled in curiosity.

Jin Guang Yao chuckled softly. My nephew is so cute.

"Many things, you can come and see it one day :D"

_______

At night, Lan Xi Chen and Lan Qi Ren were in the study room. Lan Xi Chen was reading a book while his uncle was marking a few papers.

"Look, Xi Chen."

The old man leaned towards him, showing him a piece of paper he had just finished marking. "This Chen De Ming youngster, he answered everything correctly!" 

Taking a glimpse at the paper, the tall man was just surprised as he was. It was a test to write down the first 2000 Gusu Lan Sect rules and Chen De Ming wrote down all of them accurately. His writing was also very neat and clean.

"Did you really take in a farmer? Or a genius?"

"I'm shocked too. I never knew De Ming had potential..." Lan Xi Chen said., raising an eyebrow He felt a bit suspicious. Who are you exactly, Chen De Ming? 

.

.

Whatever it is, you have caught my interest....

 He smiled, recalling the young man's cute blushing face. A desire to have him all by himself sparked in Lan Xi Chen's mind, it felt like he couldn't hold it any much longer.

a/n:  AAAA I made Xichen thirsty af sjsjjss. Thank you for reading!