Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"They were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us... Hide and heal." Cora watches the rainfalls from the window in the loft.

Ever since Boyd's death, Derek has been missing. He vanished into thin air. Well, not literally, but it feels like it. So, Stiles and I are trying to pry off any information Peter and Cora might have here at the loft.

"Okay, so it two days standard, then," Stiles begins. "Or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?"

Cora turns around to face us. "Why do you care?"

"Why do I care? Let's see..." Stiles starts as he paces around. "Because over the last few weeks tried to kill himself, his boss nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed, Boyd was killed by Alphas. I... Do you want me to keep going? 'Cause I can, all right? For, like, an hour."

"I think she gets the point," I state in a softer tone, standing aside with my arms crossed as I looked between them.

Cora steps forward. "You think Derek can do anything about that?"

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after," Stiles points out. "It's more like he should do something about it, yeah."

"I don't know," Cora tells us. "There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when we knew him."

"What was he like?" I asked, curious to know what Derek Hale before we know him as was like.

"A lot like Scott, actually." Peter had come down the spiral stairs slowly. "A lot like most teenagers... Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."

"So what happened? What changed him?" Stiles asks, standing closer to them now, which made me walk over there as well.

"Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men..." Peter had been looking at Stiles, then he glanced at me. "A girl."

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart?" Stiles asks in disbelief, his eyes widening. "That's why Derek is the way he is?"

"Do you remember before Derek had blue eyes?" Peter looked at Cora. He looked at Stiles. "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"

Stiles shrugged. "I just thought it was, like, a genetic thing."

"If you wanted to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the colour of his eyes," Peter tells us.

——

"Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he?" Stiles asks as he had taken a seat on the stool, I sat next to him. Peter sat on the couch and Cora leant against the wall that was near us. Stiles looked at Peter. "How old were you? How old are you now?"

"Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think," Peter speaks which made me frown deeply. What kind of answer is that?

"Okay, that was frustratingly vague." Stiles huffs out before looking over at Cora. "How old are you?"

"I'm 17." She replies.

Stiles points a finger in Cora's direction. "See, that's an answer. That's how we answer people."

"Well, 17 how you'd measure in years." Cora continued making me roll my eyes.

"All right, I'm just gonna drop it." Stiles waved it off. "What happened to Derek and the Piano girl?"