Chapter 14

As soon as Keval entered his room, avoiding the attention of the Rakshaks, he spun the vartula around his finger calling out the Daanavlok. A moment later, his room was empty.

He found himself in the Daanavraj's chambers.

His Majesty was lying on his bed, with barely clad maids doting on him, feeding him grapes. Keval would never know the taste of the food that they consumed but that was not what enraged him. He cleared his throat to make his presence known.

The maids shrieked alarmed by the stranger in the room.

The Daanavraj was startled but was quick to act. He drew his weapon and was on his feet immediately, ready to fend off any danger.

He recognized Keval and relaxed. He dismissed them and they scurried away.

'What is the meaning of this?' The Daanavraj seethed as he angrily stomped closer to Keval.

Keval remained unfazed, 'You don't know?'

'I don't know what?'

He furrowed his brows, 'How can you remain so calm after what happened?'

The Daanavraj blinked cluelessly, 'What happened?'

'You don't know?' He asked incredulously. The King of Demon was infuriated, 'What is this about Keval?'

Keval realized that the Daanavraj was truly unaware of what had gone down back at the Eka station. He shook his head at Ainas' recklessness. If this continued, he would never have the freedom that he so deeply desired.

'Where is Ainas?' He pinched his nose.

The Daanavraj shrugged, 'Ainas!' He called out.

Keval studied the one who had saved him. It was hard to believe he had once worshipped this being. 

But he couldn't say anything even if he wanted to. He had pledged his allegiance to him. The Daanavraj had taken care of him when he was alone... when he was nothing but a shadow, a worthless being with no purpose.

The Daanavraj had given him just what he needed.

He had to be grateful to him for it.

Ainas materialized in front of them. She wasn't in good condition. There were bruises on her limbs. Her face was stained red. Her eyes were wide as if she were anticipating a sudden attack. Her braided hair looked like it had been singed. She could barely stand. She leaned on a table for support but it was unable to hold her. It wobbled and threw the contents over. The sharp clang of the metal bowl reverberated as it struck the floor.

The three of them winced.

The Daanavraj was kind enough to help her stand. By the look on his face, he was appalled. Keval shared the same expression. He had never expected Ainas to be so greatly wounded.

'Thank you, My King,' She expressed her gratitude meekly.

The Daanavraj brushed it off and focused on the important matter, 'How did this happen?' And as if Keval knew the answer, he narrowed his eyes at him, 'I want answers! Both of you!' His voice boomed with unbridled rage. The King let her sit on his bed. Once she was comfortable, he moved away from her and folded his arms. He studied the two of them like a hawk does to its prey.

Keval thought he would be burned by the waves of pure fury that the Daanavraj emitted. He was unable to find the words to explain for he himself was unsure.

'I am waiting!'

'It was my own doing,' Ainas spoke immediately.

There was a look of disbelief on the Daanavraj's face. She dared to steal a glance. She shuddered under the harsh gaze.