Ch. 18 Friends Holding Hands

*Ray

Zach asked her for a kiss. A real kiss, were his exact words. She knew what he really meant. The thought woke her up with a kick to the chest. She rolled over, blinking at the strip of sunlight peeking in through her curtains. There was no time to lose in life. Ray had plans. Those plans needed to be put into action. But she would have enjoyed a little more sleep, all the same.

She lurched out of bed to the sound of a hundred birds singing, as if her life had been transported to a Disney movie, except she was groggy and half dead. The bed called her name to return before she was even out of it. Normal, considering she'd only had about four and half hours of interrupted sleep. Between the adrenaline wearing off, the excitement of seeing Zach again soon, and wondering how the heck she was going to arrange the saving of Naia's business, plus renovate the house, she had a terrible time falling asleep and staying that way.

The problem was she had no idea how to run or save a business, and less knowledge on fixing up a house that hadn't been touched by new paint or woodwork in at least thirty years.

No. The real problem was how badly she wanted to see Zach when she thought about the letter, but how much she wanted to keep her distance when she thought about spending the night with him. Ultimately, she still didn't know whether or not to tell Zach she'd never had sex before.

There were serious problems interfering with her plans.

She made it to the store with twelve seconds to spare, coffee in one hand, and a smoothie for breakfast in the other.

"Hi," she called, expecting Miller to answer.

Lokela came into view at the counter. He was scowling at the computer screen next to the cash register.

"Morning," she said again, because obviously he needed to be prompted to be friendly.

He grunted in reply.

Fine.

She would be cheerful on her own. Lokela could have been a scowling statue for all he acknowledged her. But just last evening, he had been throwing stones at her window, wanting to tell her something. Ohana.

"Question," she said, sliding behind the counter with her. She plopped onto the stool and arranged her drinks in order of priority, coffee first.

"I'm waiting," he said.

"Like I was waiting for you to talk last night?" she asked. "Anyway, there's still something I want to know."

"If this is about renovations, you should ask Felipe. If this is about Zach, I don't have anything to say." He wouldn't look at her.

"No, it's about you and me."

His eyes flicked to hers, but he immediately turned his head. "What's your question?"

"Did you mean what you said about ohana?"

He swallowed. "Absolutely."

"Then we're in this together, you and me." She smiled, but he didn't look her way.

"Ray, I'll always be there to help you. I didn't handle things well after the accident and afterwards in the parking lot. I know you wanted some advice about guys and—" He paused. "And guy stuff. All I can say is don't make any moves. Don't do anything too fast. Please. For your sake. He can wait. He can wait forever, if he has to, right?"

She put her hand on his. His fingers curled around the tips of her fingers.

"Thanks," she whispered. "That's what I needed to hear."

"To make him wait?"

"No, not that part, I'm not sure I'm up for waiting too long. But that you'll be there for me. Ohana, right?"