Ch. 27 Meet Me In My Room

*Ray

"Mmmm not drunk," Ray said. Wait, that didn't sound super sober. "I just woke up. I had about five drinks over the course of two hours or maybe more, plus I've been asleep for at least two hours. The alcohol is gone."

"Ray, it's not that I don't want to." Lokela paused.

A pregnant pause.

Ray giggled at the thought. Because no way was she going to get pregnant. She was too smart for that. Her partners would use protection, or get out of the bed.

Lokela sighed. "Like I said, you are still very drunk."

"If this is letting me down easy, then I'd prefer you be honest about it."

In the dark, his breath hitched. She became aware of his body pressing against hers, and especially certain parts pressing more than others. Sparks flashed in her Mary Jane.

"Honestly, I'd really like to take you up on your offer," he whispered.

She bit her lip in anticipation. He was going to change his mind. Was she ready for this?

"But you are going back to bed alone."

He must have been playing hard to get. Testing her.

"Are you sure?" Ray wound her arms around his neck for a kiss before he could answer. On her tiptoes, she puckered and planted her lips where she thought his would be. And got a mouthful of nose. She scrambled, searching for something else to kiss.

His hands crawled hungrily up the sides of her body, sending waves of heat through her as they went. He grasped her arms and untangled himself.

He coughed.

She was incredibly grateful for the darkness to cover her embarrassment.

"Listen," he said firmly.

Firmly.

She giggled again.

"Unless you get a breathalyzer and prove you aren't still under the influence," he said, continuing despite her interruption. "I have to do the right thing. I can't take advantage of you if you've been drinking. You don't want your first time to be like that, or any time, really."

"I assure you, you aren't taking advantage of me. In fact, I'm using you for my own uses. I'm using you here. Really. I've thought about this for a long time."

"If that's the way you feel, and this is what you want..." He cupped her cheeks and found her lips in the darkness. His lips sent a thousand feathered birds to her stomach where they flitted about in madness. Dizziness swept her as she breathed him in. His heat melted all fear and doubt away. She was ready to climb him like a mountain. His tongue darted in her mouth as he kissed her deeper, and his pelvis ground into hers. She wanted more.

She paused, gasping for air. "Yes," she breathed in answer to his earlier question. This was what she wanted.

But instead of kissing her again, he touched his forehead to hers. "Then you'll still want it tomorrow. I'll be home. Meet me in my room after everyone else is in bed tomorrow night, and I promise you, we will do what you want in my bed."

She shivered. He walked away, heading for the lanai. She blinked at the faint glow of his white tee until it disappeared outside.

What the hell? She had a date for sex tomorrow night?

Ray bolted up the stairs to her empty bedroom.

***

*Lokela

Sleep wasn't just elusive after his encounter with Ray, it was a fucking runaway train. After a quick stop at the outdoor shower (yeah, he went there again), he crept up to his room because there was nowhere else to go in the middle of the night. He laid down for a while, tossing and sweating. He sat at his desk for several hours, unable to string two coherent words together on the page. He went through the quietest exercises of his workout on the floor, then tried the bed again. By four-thirty a. m. he gave up.

It was early for surfing, but not too unusual or dangerous like it would be in the middle of the night.

Since it was Saturday, he grabbed not only his board, but a bag with some supplies and money for the day. He sent a message to Miller saying he couldn't fill his shift that day. That meant he had to beg one of his older cousins who used to work there to step in, but he was ready to negotiate whatever they wanted in return in order to not have to spend a day at the store next to Ray.

He could still feel her chest and soft breasts pressed to his, and the softness of her lips, the feel of her velvet skin, and the flower scent of her hair...

What the hell had he been thinking?

It was his chance. A chance to be with her for the whole night, and it was an excuse that she had been drunk. At most she was a little tipsy, but she had obviously had full control of her mental faculties, and all that jazz, and she had been hot for him.

She even sucked on his nose, she was so eager. He would have face-palmed at his own idiocy, but he was already biking one-handed down Monsarrat Avenue towards Waikiki, surfboard under his arm.

He was a chicken.

But it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Now, with the day stretching in front of him, knowing full well there was no way she would come to his room later, it seemed completely asinine. A waste.

He could have had Ray.

It wasn't difficult to spend the entire day far from the house. He hit up some friends from high school after surfing all morning, had a burger for lunch, took a nap in the park in the deep shade of the banyan trees, and even went to the library to check out a few books. Not that he could focus enough to read. He knew there was homework waiting for him, but that was a lost cause, too.

By nine at night, he hoped it was safe to return, and by safe, that she wouldn't be in the living room. From the sound of things, there were several people in the back yard again, so he snuck in through the front door. It was clear. He tiptoed up the stairs and past her door.

A light shone through the crack at the floor. He held his breath as he stepped by. No one stirred in the rooms. He reached his room and eased the door shut, then collapsed on his bed, groaning.

He was such a dumbass.

A faint knock came from the door. Lokela fell off the bed. It couldn't be Ray, there was some mistake. It had to be Miller, being weirdly gentle and cautious.

"Are you all right?" Ray's breathless voice called.

He was at the door in an instant. He opened it.

Ray stood at the threshold, cut-off shorts and slinky, sleeveless top, her hair in messy braid over one shoulder. The smell of flowers and sunshine wafted into his room.

"Are you all right?" she asked again in a hushed voice.

"I'm good," he said. "I'm great. I didn't expect to see you."

"About what we talked about last night..."

"You don't owe me anything, we don't have to do anything. We could be really wild and go get ice-cream at ten at night and sit on the beach."

"Is that what you want to do? Because this goes both ways." She pointed at herself and then him.

The low light of his lamp lit her skin in soft gold and her hair was streaked with nearly white blond from days in the sun. Her lips glistened.

"No," he said. "That's not what I want to do."

She held out her hand. He pulled her into his room and shut the door.

*** They are together. Will they go all the way together, though? ***