Road to Recovery

"26

27

28

29

30"

"Break"

The physiotherapist's words broke out the anticipatory silence in the room as Khushi took her 8th set of steps for the day.

It had been almost 2 weeks since she woke up from the coma.

Due to the long period of inactivity, she needed help learning to properly use her limbs and talk again.

Daily reading exercises had been helping her immensely with the latter, while the physiotherapist's daily sessions were helping her walk and do daily functions again.

The last week had been mostly enough for her to start being comfortable with hand movements again. So, the sole focus was now on her legs.

"Well, the progress is incredible. If we continue like this, then within a week you'll be able to start running and jumping around like the stories I've heard"

"Haye Re Nandkishor!! Aisa na bolo doctor sahab. Mushkil se toh itna chain mila tha, ab phir se is titalya ka uchhal kud suru ho jaayega. Hum toh keh dete hai, Shashi, Garima jitna aaram karna hai karlo. Hafte bhar mein toofan aa raha hai."

(Oh Dear God!! Don't say that, Doctor. With so much difficulty, we got this much peace, now again this butterfly's jumping around will start. I'm telling you, Shashi, Garima however much you can rest, rest. In a week the storm is coming)

Madhumati tried to lighten up the previously tense mood.

"Haww bu....aji, aap......hume tttooo-oofan keh rahi hai?"

(Wow bu....aji, you're.... calling me a Stooorm?)

Khushi protested, with a pouting expression.

Garima and Shashi just laughed at her antics while the physiotherapist just smiled discreetly.

She hated to, but she knew that they had to complete the session, so she broke off the room's atmosphere a bit.

" Of course, Ma'am. But for that we have to finish the next sets, Ms Gupta, let's start again, Shall we?"

Khushi nodded and got up as the counting began again.

"1

2

3

4....."

"17

"17

18

19

20"

"Great progress, Anjali."

Another doctor, in Delhi, commented as she saw the new mother walk the hospital's 20-step barred walking area.