Woman!

Murad Iqbal

I waited in my car, parked outside Momina's work place and called her for the 10th time in the last 5 minutes. The passenger door flew open and sat in Momina.

"What is it with you and calling? I was on my way but you just wouldn't stop calling me!" She was annoyed but I was running out of patience.

"That's why you should've answered my calls instead of ignoring them." I told her, driving out of the parking lot.

"I didn't ignore your calls. I just declined them." She replied in an innocent tone.

"Yeah and what was I supposed to think?" I encountered. We were heading towards her parent's house as instructed by mom for lunch.

"Did you have your breakfast?" She asked looking at me while undoing her scarf.

"Yea and drank the coffee as well. Thanks, I was really lazy to cook for myself." I gave her a goofy smile and she just rolled her eyes in response. "I knew you were a lazy bug."

"I was just tired okay and didn't feel like doing anything."

"Except for calling me, that is." She corrected me.

"Right. I got you things to eat. We can stop for coffee if you want, later." I motioned towards the food basket I packed for her, in the back seat.

"Thanks. Let's see what you got for me." She picked it up and rummaged through the it, picking out chocolates. I chuckled looking at her, and let her enjoy her chocolates.

***

We reached her parent's house an hour later. We greeted mom and dad, and settld on the couch. I gave mom the hand bag I had got for her and dad his shirt.

"Nice choice, Murad! Did you ask Momina about what we like?" Dad asked, looking at the shirt and then at me.

"No, dad. She had no clue of it." Mom and Momina were in the kitchen and I handed dad what he really asked me to get, his cigarettes. He took them hastily before anyone could see us, but we were not successful.

"Murad! I can't believe you." An angry feminine voice spoke, I turned to see Momina looking between the pack of cigarettes and me. I gulped and looked at dad for help, but he just sat there, smirking. Momina stomped out of the room and I held my head in my hands.

"Let's see your wooing skills Murad." I groaned before heading towards Momina, who was standing by the railing of the balcony, her favorite place. I hugged her from behind, pulling her towards me. She sighed, before resting her head on my chest.

"You know how hard it is to quit, don't you? You know how hard I have been trying to stop him from smoking." She spoke in a low voice.

"I know."

"Then why did you just ruin everything?" She turned to look at me. Anger written all over her face, but I could see the hurt in her eyes. She has been trying to make dad quit smoking since like for ever. But everyone knows how hard it is.

"I am sorry. I just couldn't turn him down, you know. He knew you wouldn't appreciate it." I said quietly.

"And even after that you got him cigarettes!" She threw her hands in the air out of frustration and turned facing her back to me. I had no excuse so I remained silent. I wrapped my arms around her, once again not letting her go. I nuzzled my head in the crook of her neck. She tried to move away, because it tickled her. And I loved doing that.

"Don't do that. Let me go." She ordered, because she knew what I was up to.

"Not until you forgive me." This time I did it harder and she screamed a 'No' while laughing.