PART TWENTY-FIVE

Hey guys!!!
Tbh I have nothing interesting to say lol so hopefully this one isn't too boring😅
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     "So," Winston says, drawing out the word and breaking our awkward silence. "What's going on with you and Newt?"
     I hesitate for a moment then sigh. "Remember a few days ago when you were teasing me about Newt?" I ask as I begin pulling the dry shirts off the clothesline. Winston nods. "Well...in the flashback, I also remembered that Newt and I were...were..." I exhale resignedly, folding the shirt and setting it in his arms. "Dating."
Winston guffaws. "Seriously?!" he laughs. "Ha! I knew it! Guess it was only a matter of time..." he adds quietly, suppressing a grin.
"No, no, we're not dating right now," I clarify.
"Oh..." Winston mutters, disappointed. "When did you break up?"
"What? No, you don't understand: we haven't dated since before the Maze!"
     "Fine, fine," Winston concedes. "Whatever you say."
     I roll my eyes and we gather the rest of the laundry in silence.
                                     ~~~~
     Later, as I'm walking past Newt's room on the way to bed, I hear muffled voices that belong to Newt—of course—and...Thomas, I think.
     "I know this is more difficult for her than she's letting on," Newt is saying. "I have to be careful. She already got mad at me just for checking on her."
I shift closer to the door, curiosity getting the best of me.
     "I think you can be careful and honest at the same time," Thomas says. "Just tell her."
     "I can't," Newt insists. "I don't want to scare her away."
"I don't think you will," Thomas replies. "I could tell she was restless at supper; I know she misses hanging out with you."
"You've been waiting for us to get together since she first came up," Newt accuses.
"Only because I remember how perfect you two were for each other," Thomas defends. "Maybe this is an opportunity for you guys to start over."
     "I don't know, Tommy..."
"You could really make each other happy, Newt," Thomas persists.
For a moment I don't hear anything.
Then I can hardly make out Newt saying, "She doesn't need me."
"Well maybe you need her."
Suddenly I hear footsteps on the stairs. Fearing the worst—that it's Gally—I step away from Newt's door and whirl around.
     "What're you doing, sis?"
     Winston, I think with a smile.
"Please don't call me that," I say, trying and failing to sound upset as he walks toward me.
     "Fine," he says with fake disappointment. But then he smirks at me. "Sis."
     I punch him lightly in the arm, but can't stop a smile from spreading across my mouth.
     "You going to bed soon?" he asks.
     I hesitate, wishing I could've kept listening in on Newt and Thomas's conversation. "Yeah, I think so," I say eventually.
     "Me too. So...am I supposed to give you a hug goodnight or something?" he asks, still adjusting to his sibling role.
"I guess so," I reply with a shrug. "I don't know; I'm new to this too."
He chuckles and wraps me up in a quick hug.
"Goodnight," we say in sync, causing both of us to laugh. Then we part ways and I watch him walk to his room before entering my own.
     For some reason I just feel like doing something different, so I grab a pillow and a blanket and climb to the top of the Lookout Tree.
     Between Newt and Winston, I have plenty to think about as I stare at the stars and fall asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can't believe I'm going to reach ONE THOUSAND reads soon!!! Thank you SO much to all of you for reading and commenting and voting; I can't even begin to describe how much you all mean to me❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️