Chapter 9

Noble Consort Hua picked out a very soft pink hanfu. Gold embroidered flowers decorated the entire outfit, and crystal-like beads covered the whole dress. It was even more elaborate than the hanfu I wore to dinner last night.

I wanted to wear my water lily hair hairpin. However, Noble Consort Hua insisted that I wear an elaborate headpiece consisted of dozens of gold ornaments. I agreed only because I knew I couldn't win, she is, after all, a much higher rank in the harem then me. Although she didn't command my compliance, I knew she wasn't going to give in.

The headpiece is very, very heavy. I have never supported this much weight on my head. "I feel like I might dislocate my neck," I joke.

She giggles and grins. "Ah, the pain we go through for beauty. You'll get used to it."

"Why pain at all? I feel I would be much more comfortable wearing my hairpin," I inquire, knowing that I was stepping close to my boundaries.

She gives me a pointed and unimpressed look. Her lips purse into a frown. "I will give older sister some advice." She pauses and looks around, making sure no one is listening. "Imperial Noble Consort Li, though she seems charming, is a very fierce and intelligent woman. You do not want to be in her bad graces as her scheming can be your downfall. Consort Qin... she is rather bitter, and she is not afraid to show it. Although her scheming tactics are not on par with Imperial Noble Consort Li, do not underestimate her. She is very willful; if she holds a dislike for someone, she will act on it."

I look at her, confused. How did we go from talking about a hairpin to talking about the other consorts? And so openly too!

She sighs and stares at me seriously, silently telling me that her words need should be carefully paid attention to. "Unlucky for you, you are already in their bad graces."

"I have not met them yet?"

She shakes her head. "Do not forget who you are. You are the Phoenix, the destined mother of the country, the fated Empress. You may only be an Imperial Concubine now, but you are a dangerous threat to them. They both want the throne, and they cannot claim it with you in the harem. If you were anyone else, yes, I would tell you to wear that hairpin, in fear that you would offend the other consorts for dressing higher than your rank. But in their eyes, you are already an enemy; you will never be a friend. So show your worth, wear a headpiece fit for an Empress. Show them that you will put up a fight for the throne. Show them that you will not be touched."

I study her for a moment. Why would she help me become Empress? No one helps someone without expecting something back in return.
"And you? Noble Consort Hua?"

Her lips purse in confusion. "What about me?"

"Do you not want the throne?" I question.

The corners of her lips curl up, and she shakes her head. "No. I have no desire to be Empress. Be at ease Imperial Concubine Zhao; I am not a threat to you. I do not wish for more power nor influence. I want to lead a simple and peaceful life; I am happy where I am. I know that you are an intelligent person, and I know you are a good judge of character, so you should already know my intentions." She sighs. "Though, life in the palace will be difficult for me if any of the two consorts become Empress. They, however, see me as a threat and won't hesitate to get rid of me if they come into power.

I carefully stand up and walk over to the vanity. With my back turned to her, I pick up a hairbrush. "Ah, so you want to use me?" I question, smiling to myself. I have stepped over the boundaries of an Imperial Concubine who is talking to her superior. However, I am not afraid as I now knew that she wouldn't dare to hurt me. She needed me, after all.