Chapter 10

"Raise your head, the man commanded

I slowly do as he asks, keeping my eyes trained in front of me. As they meet his face, a feeling of fright mixed with awe arises in my chest once more. I had to strain my head to look at him as our height difference is rather significant. I only reached his shoulders. It is hard to tell what he is thinking just from his expression; his eyes hold no emotion at all, it's like... their wholly and utterly empty, like a void filled only of pure darkness.

"What are you doing here?" he questions, still imprisoning me in his gaze.

"This is the harem," I reply simply. I did not know what else to say. I felt like my answer did a decent job of implying that I was the emperor's concubine, also giving me a reason to be here.

I watch as his eyebrows rise and furrow slightly like he is recalling something. "You are a concubine?"

I was confused. I thought it was rather obvious.  We are on harem grounds. Who else would I be? "Yes..."

He studies me for a moment, trying to figure me out. I felt self-conscious; it's like his eyes are looking straight into my soul. His mouth rises in a half tilted smirk, seemingly realizing whatever he was trying to figure out. "I do recall the... Emperor.. naming a new concubine early this morning, the Phoenix no less. Though, I must have forgotten as I do not concern myself in harem matters. You are..."

"Yes." I knew what he was asking.

The amusement reappears in his eyes. He already knew, I really didn't have to answer. However, he did not seem to have much interest in the matter as he did not inquire further. "You should be more careful next time; you do not want to fall into the arms of the Emperor. He is not as forgiving as I," he advises with a smirk sitting on his lips, before promptly leaving though his bold words seemed to have an underlying meaning.

I simply stand there for a moment, not quite processing what just happened. I am still not sure what took place between him and me, the interaction... it was not normal for me. I usually had a reply for everything, and I rarely become flustered and speechless in the presence of a man during a simple conversation. If you can call our interaction that. These feelings are so unknown to me, I've never felt... butterflies before. And I've never experienced the fluttering sensation, a sensation so intense that my chest hurt. I feel like I'm diving into the deep abyss of an unexplored area of the ocean. And I don't know what lurks in the dark unknown. It's unsettling.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts as the pitter platter sounds of soft footsteps near me.

"Xiulan! Are you okay?" Huiqing worries as she rushed to my side.

I nod softly. "No injuries, I didn't even hit the ground."

"You still could have twisted your ankle," she points out, brows furrowed and lips pursed.

"I've had my share of sprained ankles, I am fine," I assure her, not wanting to make a trip to the infirmary over such a small ordeal. I raise my right foot slightly in front of me. I turn it side to side to show her. "See? There's no pain."

She still looks weary, but nods, and we begin to resume walking.

"Huiqing, do you know who that was?" I inquire. As the words come out of my mouth, I feel embarrassed for asking. And I'm not sure why.

She shakes her head. "I have never seen him. Men rarely come to visit the harem, even the Emperor. He hasn't been here once. And I don't think any of the other consorts have seen the Emperor either" she huffs like his absence somehow affects her.

Though after a moment, her mood changes drastically, and she giggles to herself. "Though that man was quite very handsome. If only he didn't wear such a scary expression, he would be cute even."
I watch as she thinks about it for a moment before shuddering. "Those eyes, though, they were absolutely frightening. It was almost as if they could obliterate someone with a single glance. No matter how beautiful he is, I would rather not meet him again."

There was no denying his dark and twisted demeanor. However, I can't help but think that there's more to him than his cold front.

"We are here," Huiqing states as we near yet another palace. The Endless Fortune Palace is quite regal indeed, far more sophisticated than my residence. Though seeing that Imperial Noble Consort Li is acting Empress, it makes sense for her palace to be one fit for the mother of the country.

"We should probably go in now; we are late," I tell Huiqing even though she knew that already.

As soon as we step in the entrance to the courtyard, we are blocked by a servant boy not much older than me. He looks at my outfit, before glancing at my face, his eyes show no recognition. "Forgive me. Imperial Noble Consort Li is occupied at the moment, please come back later," he states, pronouncing his words in a manner that seems like he has recited this sentence multiple times. Did Imperial Noble Consort Li really have this many visitors every day?

I realized he does know who I am. Ah, I sound ignorant. It is expected, of course, even I didn't know about my new title until this morning.

I smile understandably at him. "I am afraid that I am late for the harem gathering." I chuckle. "Late on my first day."

His eyes widen at the realization, and he quickly gets on his knees and bows down, begging for forgiveness. "Forgive me, Imperial Concubine Zhao, this servant deserves death; this servant deserves death."

I wince at his words. Death for doing no wrong? What is his crime? The way he says it makes me feel so superior to him. I don't like it; it makes me so very uncomfortable, like a pit in my stomach.

I lean down and reach out my hand for him to take. I didn't like him kneeling in front of me.

He abruptly stops his rehearsed apologies and just stares at my hand in front of him in fright.

He must think I was going to slap him, I realize. "I am not going to hurt you. You did nothing wrong. Please take my hand," I coax. The tone I used felt weird coming out of my mouth; I was treating a man older than me like a little child.

He very hesitantly takes my hand, and I help him up. Well... I didn't do much as my small form, and noodle arms don't give me much strength in my muscles. If I have any. But I suppose the act itself eased his worries as he doesn't seem afraid of me anymore.

He looks down, sheepishly at his toes, and I notice a soft pink color slowly crawling onto his cheeks.

"Oh- erm, I suppose I will announce your arrival now," he says in a throaty voice.

I smile and nod and wait for him to leave and go into the palace. However, he just remains standing there with a lowered head, his soft eyes peeking up at me from time to time.

I hear a throat clear behind me, and the servant boy seems to come into his senses. He murmurs a "excuse me" and quickly retreats into the palace behind him.

"Looks like someone has a crush on you," Huiqung jokes behind me, giggling.

I am about to turn and tell her otherwise. However, a stentorian voice from inside the palace catches my attention instead.

"Announcing the arrival of Imperial Concubine Zhao!"