Chapter 8: Sir

Julia hated detention.

The old rusty smell of the chairs tormented her nose and the squeak of sneakers on the tiled floor caused a headache to flare through her brain every time she heard it. And then there was Denzel. She could feel him. Feel him watch her every breath. Feel him scrutinize her every move. She tried to ignore him, but he always bumped her shoulder or caught her eye. She loathed every bit. 

Julia stared at the clock; just a couple more minutes before she could break out of this hellhole. The clock ticked ever so slowly and Julia lazily tapped her foot to the rhythm of the second hand. She debated taking out her phone, one that Nick had recently given her, and getting caught, or picking at her nails for the next five minutes. Not wanting to spend another extra minute in detention, Julia continued staring at her badly chipped nails. As she examined her nails in closer detail, she heard a chair being scraped across the floor and suddenly felt a hot breath on her neck. The teen ignored her urge to turn and fling something at the boy staring at her in curiosity. Almost as if she were a specimen, sitting in a glass jar, waiting to be examined. Just like an animal, she thought bitterly. Luckily, the bell saved her from having a chair be thrown across the room. She quickly gathered up her things and hastily walked out only to run smack right into her friend-Criana.

"Oh, hey I was waiting for you, c'mon let's go grab a bite to eat, my stomach will kill someone, I swear to god."

Julia was surprised.

"You were waiting, for me," she pointed to herself, slightly skeptical, "The weirdest kid in school who no one ever notices."

"Sorry wrong person, I was waiting for that kid over there," she pointed.

Julia's heart fell as she already started berating herself for having high hopes. She looked back and didn't find anyone left in the room.

When she looked at Criana her friend burst into laughter, "Wow, you dumb*ss, of course, I was waiting for you." 

Criana slung her arm around Julia and walked out of the school slowly making their way to their local pizza place.

Rowdy laughter and the strong scent of tomato sauce filled the place as Julia pushed open the doors to Luigi's Pizza, a diner which, according to Criana, served the best pizza in all of town. As they walked up to the front counter, Julia's phone dinged. Pulling it out, she saw a text from Nick asking where she was. She hastily typed in a reply telling him she was at the library for a group project. She desperately wanted to avoid the awkward conversation that would occur if Julia told Nick that she was at a pizza place with a friend. He was bound to ask her who it was and how they met. Dropping her phone back into her pocket, she asked Criana what pizza they would order.

"Why don't we order deep dish."

"Sounds delicious."

After the two girls sat down with their dinner, something caught Criana's eye.

"Hey, Julia, see those two boys over there?"

"Yea, what about them," she questioned, mouth full of pizza.

"They look hella cute, don't they?"

Julia rolled her eyes and turned around, catching a look at them. Criana was right, they were kinda cute.

"I dare you," Julia paused for effect, "to invite them to our table."

Criana's shoulders straightened and flashed Julia her most confident smirk, "Oh it's on girl."

She stood up and made her way to the boys' table, sending Julia a wink along the way.

Smiling and with a confident swish of her hair, Criana said something to the boys. Sure enough, when two loud boys came to her table Julia sat there trying to conceal her look of surprise. When Criana sat down, she introduced herself and Julia. The boys, one who was named Noah and the other Zeke talked a bunch but Julia kept staring at Noah trying to figure where she had seen him before.