Chapter 9: Moody

The front door slammed shut, sending dust flying.

"F*ck," she grumbled, moving back to yank her shirt out of the door frame.

Nick poked his head out of the kitchen and cocked an eyebrow, "Careful there, don't wanna hurt the poor door."

Julia rolled her eyes and flung her backpack on the floor, causing the contents to spill all across the floor. The silence in the room seemed to stiffen a bit before Nick snapped his fingers and pointed to the bag. 

"Do not throw your bag like that. Pick it up and politely drop it in your room."

Although his tone wasn't harsh, his snap was quite menacing. So Julia appealed to his needs. She picked everything up, and with an exaggerated motion, dropped them back in.

"Happy there now, my Highness?"

Nick ignored the snarky comment and tossed a beer to the unknown visitor sitting on the couch. Julia glanced at the figure, and when she realized it was Mike, her mood darkened a whole lot more. She muttered some colorful words that Nick would probably question, but swearing was like a second language to her. It comes about when you live on New York streets long enough. The light chatter in the living room was enough to make Julia stomp all the way upstairs, giving Mike the stink eye the entire time.

-----

Math.

Julia was brought back from her sleep with a voice that sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

"Ms. Adler," he cleared his throat, "Would you like to demonstrate how to solve this problem?"

He pointed to a question on the board.

Julia looked up in a panic and then slowly calmed down when she realized she was in math class. She wouldn't admit it, but math was her favorite subject. It was easy and fun, unlike life, which was one unsolvable f*cking problem after the other.

"It would be my pleasure," Julia replied, sarcasm evident in her voice.

She silently sauntered up to the front, the entire class's eyes on her.

She scribbled her answer on the board and walked back to her chair and giving Mike a well-earned smirk.

"Is that the correct answer, Mike?"

He just nodded and continued with his lecture.

Truth be told, Julia thought that Mike was a cool teacher.

He was laid back, relaxed, and he let things go. He didn't hold grudges or judge his students. So when he called on Julia in the middle of class, she couldn't help but feel a little hurt, especially when she saw the look he gave her when she told him she didn't have her homework. And the way he called her by her last name was weird, to say the least. He was fun and called his students by their first name, cracking jokes and telling them not to worry about upcoming tests.

He was acting strange, and she didn't know why.

-----

English.

Julia let out a little laugh at the image displayed on her phone. Realizing her mistake, she sucked in a breath and braced herself for the lecture she would be receiving. Mrs. Gibson whipped around and narrowed her eyes at Julia.

"What is it you find so funny, Ms. Adler?"

Julia silently clicked her phone off and placed it in her pocket.

"The way you run this class," she replied.

"Oh, you think you could do better?"

"If you're such a crappy teacher, I'm sure I couldn't possibly do worse." Julia hid a smile as the class erupted in "Ohhh's."