15

Brandon? Why is he here?

"Listen, bro," Evan starts speaking, his voice laced with contempt. "No offence, but this is kind of a matter you have no relation with and I really don't see why you should be here."

I quickly wipe my the tears off my face with the short polyester sleeves and look away. He should not see me crying. I look ugly when I cry.

I hear Brandon stepping inside the room. "No offence bro, but I'm kind of the ruler here. I'm the student president, and I lead you all. So, I have a relation with whatever event that happens to my followers."

Brandon asks the students to stop surrounding me and stands in front of the table. Beside me. He studies the photos for a while and frowns. "Sir, how could you say that the cup Jennifer's holding is Aiden's?"

"How could you not say that the cup is his?" Bennett argues. Brandon smiles and nods. "Valid point."

He turns and looks at me. I try not to tremble under his strong gaze and look away. "Are you sure, Miss Jennifer, that you didn't play any part in the drugging of Aiden?"

I try to regain my composure and answer in my usual haughty tone. But my voice comes out as if I'm trying very hard to hold back my tears. "No, I did not."

"Look at me when you're answering, Miss Jennifer."

I flinch at his hard tone. Try to be a little sympathetic, Brandon. I've already suffered much. "No, I did not play any part in the drugging of Aiden."

He keeps looking at me, probably trying to decipher the emotions in my eyes. I stare at him too; I'm not looking away until he does. His eyes are not deep blue, I notice. They're dark grey with flecks of blue in them. Didn't see such kind of eyes before. Kind of, hypnotising, if you look into them for too long.

He breaks eye contact, looking towards the doorway and calls the other guy inside. This guy is slightly shorter than Brandon, wearing horn-rimmed glasses and a Rolex watch. "Sir, this is Julian. His mother is in the police, the commissioner."

"Yes, I'm aware of that," Bennett says dismissively and glares at him. "Are you trying to threaten me, Mr. Lancaster?"

Brandon laughs and shakes his head. If I wouldn't have been trapped in such a goddamn situation, I would've swooned at Brandon's clear laughter. But not now.

"Sir, what I'm merely saying is, you still don't have enough evidence against Jennifer to prove her guilty. These photographs won't work if a lawsuit is filed against you. So, why don't we take the fingerprints off the Benzodiazepine jar and get them identified? In that way, you'd have a much stronger evidence against her."

Finger-print identification! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Bennett clears his throat. "Uh, look here. This finger-printing has gone too far, you see? Why make a mountain out of a molehill?"

"Fingerprinting isn't necessary!" Anita cuts in. I hear a bit of urgency in her voice, that bitch, that lying backstabber, that Judas.

I cannot believe she would do such a thing to me. After all that I did for her? I picked her up from the rejects, befriended her and made her into the most sought-after hot sub-queen. And this is what she does to me?  "We already know who the culprit is. Why go to so much trouble just for the sake of-"

Brandon coughs and looks at Anita steely. "I did not ask you to speak, Miss Gupta. Only speak when you're spoken to."

"Hey! Watch that tone when you're speaking to her!" Isaac growls. Brandon ignores him and turns to Bennett. "I want to have a word with Jennifer in private. May I, sir?"