Chapter Twenty

It was around three in the morning when finally Merida had fallen asleep in Leo's arm. He caressed her face and smiled. He knows where this ends and it pains him the most.

Leo pulled Merida closer for him to hug her even better. Even just this once, let me hug her as if she's mine to keep, he thought.

Merida woke up and her head felt so heavy. It feels like someone was banging her head with a hammer. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Leo sleeping. Then she frowned. What is Leo doing here? She asked herself.

It took her a while to remember what had happened. She doesn't recall every detail but she remembers the pain and the betrayal the drama club did and that guy who almost raped her.

Merida remembers it. This pain creeping into her chest making her heartache... she had to hold her chest holding back her tears. But it was no use so she cried silently. She snuggled into Leo, just in case if he woke up, he won't see her crying right away.

"It's okay to cry." She heard Leo groaned. She moves away and looks at Leo. His eyes are closed, she saw.

Leo moved a little and hugged Merida tighter. "Just cry it out. Pretend I'm just the pillow you cry to at nights when you're lonely."

His voice was calming and it made Merida cry even more. What Leo said made her recall when Jacob promised her little things. He'll always be there? He doesn't even know when to be there. Merida kept sobbing despite her aching head. The pain in her chest was what she could feel more.

It's funny how Jacob's love changes with the season. She's now more scared than ever. Merida won't be able to take it if Leo would all of a sudden leave her hanging.

After a while, Merida decided to stop thinking about all of her pain. She can go on a trip to her mom's workplace. It would be a great idea; at least she gets to be somewhere else. And about the festival, she never participates in such an event. What difference does not completing the days make?

"Leo," she mumbles.

Leo slowly opened his eyes. "Hmm?" He was still so sleepy.

"I'm sorry you couldn't go to school today. I'm sorry I caused too much trouble for—"

"Don't you remember last night? I told you it's okay. I'll be here even when you don't ask." Leo wiped her tears away. After that, he gets up and stretched.

"Don't leave me..." Merida whispers when Leo was heading to the door. He didn't hear it and the next thing she saw was a closed door.

Merida laid back and felt lonelier than ever. What did she do to deserve all this pain? She's good. She tried to befriend others and they ended up betraying her. In the end, she only has herself to count on at times like this.

When she finally has the strength, she stands up. She looked for her phone and when she saw it, she immediately texted her mom.

Merida: Hey mom! I was wondering if I could spend the semestral break with you. I promise I won't bug you.

She was thankful to autocorrect for correcting her typos. Merida swore she wasn't going to drink strong liquids anymore. Her phone flashed and she immediately opened her phone.

Mom ❤️: Of course honey! Is Jacob going to be with you?

Beth mentioning his name made her cry even more. She sobs silently and texted back, tears falling on her screen.

Merida: I'm booking the earliest flight. I love you mom ❤️

After sending the text she took out her sim card and throws it out her window. I'm done. I'm saying goodbye to maybes, she thought.

Under her bed was luggage her mother bought her two years ago. It was an olive green colour and it's not that big as well. She opened it and put clothes, wallet, an identification card and all that was useful to her.

The door suddenly opened and Leo appeared with a tray in his hands. Merida thought he left.

"Didn't you..."

"I went downstairs to make you breakfast." Leo put down the tray at her side table. "You're leaving?"

Merida continues to zip close her luggage and then stands up. "I thought you left me..."

"Why would I do that? I never told you I was going home. So, are you leaving somewhere?" He asked.

Merida looked down. "Yes. I need a break from all of the things that happened, Leo. I have to."

Leo laughed all of a sudden that made Merida raise her head up.

"Why are you laughing?"

"I've never seen you so serious before. Well, go take a break but promise me one thing," Leo stepped closer to her. "If you come back, make sure you're still beautiful."

Merida grinned at him. "I promise," she said and hugged him. But on the back of her mind, she said, I was never beautiful.

•••

"Is this all you need?" Leo asked Merida once they were at the airport.

"Uhm... I'll be needing your number. I threw my sim card away and if I get one there, I'd like to text you first."

Leo thought about it for a while. He had an idea. He took off his phone's sim card and handed it to Merida. "Use mine. I memorized my number and I'll text you."

Merida didn't want to take it but Leo insisted. She inserted it and was surprised that only her old phone number was there.

"You don't have any other contacts," she said looking weirdly at Leo.

"Because I'm like you. An outcast, the only difference is I know how to defend myself."

Leo smiled at Merida and she did the same. They continue to talk about some stuff while they wait for boarding.

"There's actually something that I had noticed on your notebook last night," Leo scratched the back of his head while Merida looks at him confused. "You wrote a paragraph about a boy who you longed his calming gaze and a bright smile. Was that boy Jacob?"

Merida's face hardened at the mention of Jacob's name. "No, I don't think it was him. I don't know that boy either but I meant what I wrote. He saved me that day. I want to get to know him if I'm given the chance to."

Leo saw the bittersweet emotion in Merida's eyes. "Well, I hope you find him in this lifetime."

Merida wanted to tell Leo that he had reminded her of that boy last night when Leo had pulled that big guy from last night away from her. But she remained quiet. "Yeah, I hope I do."

The time flew too fast and they heard the speakers calling for all flight LIN854's passengers to proceed to gate 7. That was Merida's flight.

"Well, I guess I'll see you again after two weeks," Merida told Leo while holding her luggage's handle.

Leo nodded. He honestly wants to tell Merida that he likes her but he couldn't do it knowing she was still broken. It's not good to jump on another feeling when you aren't yet finished with the other one. It only gives you plus one heartbreak when it doesn't succeed.

Leo was left standing in there. Looking at Merida who was still looking and waving at him. He smiled and waved back at Merida.

"Heal yourself and then love again," he muttered and walked towards the exit.

Just when he was outside the airport, came Brandon running. He stopped in front of Leo catching his breath.

"Why didn't you stop her?" Brandon snapped.

Leo then laughed mockingly.

"What the hell do you find funny?"

"Relax bro!" Leo was feeling good and tapped Brandon's shoulder. "It's only for two weeks."