ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 28

HAYLEY MARSHALL RELEASED a breath as soon as they both made their way into the woods. Her mind was completely blank for a while. The werewolf still didn't understand how she made out of the city alive...without a scar.

"You okay?" The vampire asked when she heard the rapid beat of the werewolf's heart beside her. "Are you turning, already?"

"What? No. I'm just processing everything," Hayley muttered. "Why did you do that?"

When she saw Katherine raising her eyebrow, the Labonair wolf elaborated, "I mean, I am grateful for what you did. But I really wasn't expecting you to do that. Not after all the lectures and threats, you give me daily."

"As I said, I have a reputation to uphold," Katherine said. "And I know Marcel enough to play him well, and get what I want." Because of the original Katherine memories, she knows Marcel remembered her as a badass woman who doesn't take shit from people. Katherine taught him some very important lessons about self-preservation. How to survive enemies that are stronger and bigger than them? Something that helped Marcel get through the war and come out on top.

"And the thing with Klaus, I was mostly bluffing. Marcel and I both know that Klaus is power-hungry. So I used the same thing to goad him. Marcel is Klaus' protege. Klaus believed he died during the 1900s and left the city to never turn back until this day. But as we can see, Marcel survived the attack at the Opera House and continued what the Original family started. And now that he built something for himself, Marcel wouldn't let Klaus take it away. So he agreed to our offer," Katherine explained to the young wolf, "If you know the enemy and know yourself, you don't need to fear the outcome of the battle."

"You are terrifying," Hayley breathed out, looking at the smirk on the Petrova doppelganger's face, "And that showdown was completely badass. I would love to take one of those lessons when I finally become an Alpha to my pack."

"You know what, since I am in a good mood, I will give you your first lesson. Don't trust anyone blindly. And, definitely, never trust a survivor until you find out what they did to stay alive," Katherine said, looking straight at the werewolf, "Werewolves are all about hierarchy. Being an Alpha is an honor... something you will have to prove every day. So if people start giving you shit because you are a girl, be sure to give it back to them tenfold. Prove them you are a fucking queen, and that you shouldn't be messed with."

"Right. Easy-peasy," The werewolf muttered, sarcastically, as they came into the clearing where Eve was already waiting for the duo.

"Alright, now off you go, and chain yourself up real tight. I am gonna hang these clothes for the other mutts," Katherine said, taking the bags from Hayley's hands. "And then leave the food and drinks."

"Try to be nice, please," Hayley nearly begged, as she decided to follow after Eve, even though she knows it is an absolute waste of breath when it comes to Katherine Pierce.