ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35

"WHY DID I AGREE TO DO THIS AGAIN?" Hayley whispered to herself, but it was loud and clear for the vampires at the entrance of the main door to hear.

Katherine, however, just rolled her eyes at the whiny werewolf and asked aloud, "Did you find it?"

There was the sound of drawers closing shut and a few racks screeching open, followed by an annoyed sigh. Hayley came out of the room and held up the object in her hand, "Is this the one?" she asked.

Katherine threw her hands in the air in frustration. "Does that look anywhere near to what I drew on the paper?" She asked. The vampire honestly felt like she was talking to the little Groot in Guardians of Galaxy - II.

"Hayley, it should be like this," Stefan supplied as he held up the paper with the drawing, while he patted the Petrova vampire on her shoulders, afraid, she will smash her head into the nearest wall if this goes on for a while longer.

"Yes, I can see. I have a copy too," Hayley said, holding up the piece of paper in her hand. She turned towards her best friend, and asked, "Don't you have a 3D picture instead of this drawing you drew roughly on a steering wheel. It will probably help if I know what exactly I am looking for."

"No. It's not something I can find in google," Katherine said. She paced in front of the invisible barrier for a few minutes, and asked, "Alright. Think! You two. If you had a key for your destruction and are afraid of it, and you don't want anyone to find it...where do you keep it?"

"In a high-tech locker guarded by a SWAT team," was Stefan's quick reply.

"No," Katherine said unimpressed, "Everyone would look there."

"Really?" Hayley asked, confused, but Katherine paid her no heed.

"If it's a key to your destruction, you will always keep it on you and look at it every day, for a sense of security."

"In between my bookshelves," Stefan supplied.

"I checked there. I also checked the back of the paintings hanging around the house. I checked in the bathroom and in the cereal boxes in the kitchen," Hayley went on. "I am searching for this damned thing for an hour now while you both stood there, doing nothing but order me around."

"We don't have an invitation to come inside," Katherine defended, while Stefan tuned them out and was muttering to himself of all the possible hiding places.

"Under my pillow!" Stefan exclaimed after a while, and then turned to the werewolf, "Did you check under the pillow?" Hayley went to look there but came back with empty hands.

It was nearing three, and they only had half an hour before the house owner would be back.

"Come on, Guys," Katherine hurried them, "Think," she said, snapping her fingers in a hurry, "Scared little girls would definitely hide it under their pillow to calm their paranoid minds. What would grown-ups do?" the vampire said, bouncing on her heels, "Oh!" she exclaimed, snapping her fingers twice, "Oh, I got it. Hayley, check-in her underwear drawer."