ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 51

"YOU MUST BE NADIA—" There was a smile on Katherine's face, though she appeared unsure how best to greet the strangers. Her eyes flickered to the slim build man beside her, her smile turning a little strained. "—And you must be the boyfriend."

"I am Gregor," The man with slightly messy hair and light blue eyes says. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Petrova."

"Just Katherine, please," The older vampire intervenes. "Or, Ms. Pierce, if you wish."

"If that is what you wish," Gregor says smoothly. Katherine wasn't really dazzled at his attempts to impress her, knowing Nadia's Traveler boyfriend could be a backstabbing git if wishes to be. But that doesn't neglect the fact the couple loved each other at the end. So, judging the situation on that particular basis, the brunette decided to give him the benefit of the doubt for now instead of killing him immediately.

"Right, of course—" the brunette licks her lips before moving a little from the door. "Um, please come on in," She says, stepping away for them to enter. "I hope your journeys went well."

"Yes, it was good, thank you," Gregor said when he decided his girlfriend can't make out any words at that moment. After all, he knew how much it meant for his girlfriend to meet her mother, Katerina Petrova.

"Right—" and it seemed Katherine was also running out of things to talk to, "Do you want anything to drink. Scotch, blood bags?"

Nadia cleared her throat. "No, thanks," she speaks for the first time. Her eyes wander around the living room of the Salvatore Boarding house. She sees no other faces or hears any other noise apart from theirs.

"I sent them away—" Katherine answers in such a way as if she knew what her question was. "I didn't want you to feel overwhelmed or anything. And everyone here is so excited to see you, and I thought it would spook you a little," she shrugs her shoulders, suddenly unsure to say, "I wanted the first meeting to be a little private."

Nadia nods her head at that.

Catherine took Hayley's advice to heart. And the brunette thought, the least she could do for the real Katherine Pierce after practically snatching her life, body, was conveying to Nadia about how much her mother loved her; how devastated she was when she couldn't even hold her in her arms and how much she went back to search for her. And, even though she didn't have anything to do with canon Katherine's untimely demise, Catherine thought this would be her way of saying a Thank You.

Because a selfish and opportunistic part of her knew, if it wasn't for her taking over Katherine's body, she would never have made such good friends here. She always thought she would die a bitter old lady, with no one by her side at the end. But now, she has a family she made all on her own, and for that, she was grateful.