ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44

"WHAT A SURPRISE," An alluring British voice greeted her. "I was considering sending out my hybrids on a search party in a day or two's time if you didn't show up."

"So, seeing I didn't waste your resources, I ought to get another freebie," Katherine retorted shamelessly.

"Ah! I see why you are here!" Klaus reckoned as soon as the words left Katherine's mouth. He then turned towards Stefan, who was looking around, trying to spot the hot-blooded, sexy blond.

"And you, old friend," Klaus acknowledged the younger Salvatore, taking a threatening step towards him. And Katherine mechanically stepped in front of Stefan before she could even think it through, making Klaus halt in his midstep, almost amused at her protective streak. But that didn't stop him from saying what he wanted. "What are your intentions for my sister? Shall we discuss a dowry?"

"Nik," Rebekah Mikaelson's disapproval was heard before anyone even noticed the blonde.

"What? Isn't this the gentleman that you helped sneak out of the house the other day?" Klaus defended in an innocent tone, without turning back. "I am just trying to be a protective brother, is all."

"Niklaus, stop alienating our sister," Elijah drawled in a deep voice, chiding his younger brother as he came down the stairs, looking pristine as ever in his thousand-dollar suit.

"Then she shouldn't have destroyed my art room-" He didn't get to finish his sentence when Kol announced his presence.

"Did I just hear my partner in crime?" Kol questioned, and as soon as he saw Katherine, a devilish grin appeared on his face. "Are we going for another massacre?"

"Ah...No," She answered the unexpected question dumbly. "I am here on a personal mission, actually," she confessed.

"Shame," And Katherine was sure she will get the hang of Kol's untamed spirit in no time. "Does it involve killing someone?"

"No!" Katherine confirmed and looked at him in honest bewilderment. "Do I look like someone who kills people just because I have some free time on my hand?"

"Yes," Kol answered the rhetorical question almost immediately.

"It was rhetorical," Katherine explained to the youngest brother. "Anyways, as I was saying before everyone oh-so rudely interrupted, I am here to hire Maddox and Greta for a couple of da—"

"And there it is," Klaus interrupted the doppelganger, somehow already knowing the answer. Because one cannot catch up with elusive Katherine Pierce if she doesn't wish for them to meet. And the only use the doppelganger has for the thousand-year-old all-powerful Original family is, surprisingly, with Klaus's witch and warlock.

"Well, that's the only thing you are useful to me for," Katherine stated, offhandedly, insulting the only 1000-year-old Original Hybrid on the planet. "Also, It's not like I take them for free. I always make a deal, won't I? A favor for a favor."