Chapter 2

Apparently, wearing a skirt was not a good idea for the first day of school. I was written up in homeroom. Thankfully, Mr. Woodly said he would let it slide for the day.

"I can't help feeling offended on your behalf," Robin told me on our walk to second period.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, I just spent the past hour sitting beside Terry Arch and he was wearing a sleeveless basketball top. I was subjected to stare at his hairy armpits and nipples for all of homeroom. Where is his writeup?" she demanded.

"That's a good point," I agreed.

"You show a teensy tiny bit of your legs and the entire school goes on lock down, meanwhile Terry Arch shows off his noodle arms and nobody says anything! It's not your fault that fifty-year-old Mr. Woodly can't control his sexual urges for grade eleven girls!"

I snorted and shushed her. "I sincerely hope he didn't write me up for that reason."

"I wouldn't put it past him," Robin muttered cynically. "He gives me that pervert vibe. I mean his name is Wood--"

Suddenly, we both heard an uproar of laughter coming from down the hallway. On cue, Alexander and his friends, including Heather Marbury, who was giggling especially hard at something, strutted their way down like a group of models on a runway. Heather had her arm clung tightly to Alexander's. I really didn't understand how Alexander had such a hold over girls, even beautiful ones. Was he even that good looking? I shuddered just thinking about it. It's hard to determine whether or not your sibling is attractive and it's best just not to think about it.

"What the hell was that was that piercing cry?" Robin complained loudly, knowing very well the answer to her question. "Is there a dying animal trapped inside the walls of this school?"

There were a few snickers from passing students, but Heather simply scowled at her. Many juniors scattered, but many others stuck around to observe the group. I rolled my eyes inwardly at the thought of people treating my brother like a celebrity. 

"What's up Morales?" I heard someone call. I didn't bother looking; it wasn't for me. 

Alexander and I made eye contact before giving each other a small nod and Ricky gave a warm but tight smile. Our usual at-school greetings. Alexander had given me a double take and suddenly he pursed his lips together. He made his way out of Heather's grip-lock and came over to me, close enough so only I could hear.

"Why are you wearing such a short skirt to school?" he whispered. Ah, so thats why he actually broke away from his friends to talk to his sister. 

"Ugh, I don't need this from you, too. I already got written up by Mr. Woodly," I complained.

"Wow" he sneered. "If I had driven you to school this morning, I would've seen it and warned you."

I didn't need your warning; I can make my own decisions without you butting in, I thought to myself.

Robin poked her head between us. "Lighten up, Morales. She looks fine."

"Well maybe you think so, D'Amico, but that happens to be my sister. I don't care what she wears, but you girls don't know how guys think around here."

"Guys like you and your friends?" Robin challenged.

Alexander sighed and shook his head. "Whatever. I'll see you at the house."

With that, Alexander joined his friends again and walked away from me. Robin narrowed her eyes into slits as Heather flicked her hair directly in front of Robin while passing by.