Chapter 13

The night of Rex's victory party could not have been more of an outright disaster.

Ricky had one hand on the wheel and held my hand in his other. He absentmindedly stroked my hand with his thumb the entire drive from the arena to Rex's house. He parked on the road upon arrival and I cringed when I saw Alexander's car in the driveway, reminding me of the words I could never take back. Another car was behind Alexander's, preventing him from backing out, leading me to believe that Alexander was spending the night at Rex's. It was probably for the best; I couldn't face him alone yet after what had happened.

Ricky and I walked hand and hand to the front door, but he casually dropped my hand once we were inside. It was a subtle yet cruel reminder that Ricky was not my boyfriend. I wasn't sure what he was to me, or what I was to him. But we both knew that nobody could suspect we were anything more than family-friends. With my fight with Alexander, and despite the affection Ricky had shown me in the car, I grew deeply unhappy with the absence of his touch. My mood was so darkened I didn't think it possible anymore to socialize properly, let alone to even enjoy the party that I caused such a stink to go to.

The party was loud and rambunctious. Similar to the one I had thrown, different groups of people were immersed in their own bubbles, talking loudly, guffawing with laughter, singing along to music, or playing various drinking games in a sea of plastic red cups.

I hadn't noticed at first, but I had lost sight of Ricky. I spun in a few half circles trying to relocate him when I spotted him in what looked like a heated conversation – with Alexander. Alexander and Ricky stood face to face in a corner of the room. Alexander was pointing a finger at him while Ricky had his arms crossed and a detached look of defiance. Anybody else in Ricky's position would have been intimidated, at best. But Alexander didn't have that effect on Ricky. Alexander had met his match a long time ago.

I would have preferred to avoid my brother the entire night, but I also didn't think it was fair that Ricky should receive the brunt of our fight, so I went to intervene.

I caught the tail end of what Alexander had been saying.

"Whose side are you on here?"

"I'm not on anybody's side. I just saw your sister – who happens to be my friend – nearly crying in a hockey arena while her entire group of friends left to go to a party that she was invited to."

Who happens to be my friend... I wasn't sure how to feel about that.

"Since when do you care?" Alexander retorted, although I noticed his demeanour change at Ricky's words about me crying. It had upset him. 

Before Ricky had the chance to reply, both of them noticed me.

Alexander let out a strong exhale when he looked at me. "Whatever, forget it." He stormed off away from both of us.

Ricky watched Alexander leave, then examined me sympathetically. "I saw your friends in the kitchen, do you want us to go find them?"

"You go find your friends and I'll find mine," I said without feeling. I walked away before he could say anything else. I was tired of being a burden to Ricky; I wanted him to have fun tonight, and he wasn't going to do that with me clinging to him like a leach.

Bianca ran into my arms as soon as I entered the kitchen. "We've been waiting for you!"

I hugged her back weakly. At least someone was happy I was here.

"It's Morales!" a voice shouted. It was Mitch Pitton – a senior on the hockey team.

I looked behind me instinctively so I could move quickly out of Alexander's way. But Alexander wasn't even in the kitchen. It dawned on me that Mitch was talking about... me.