Chapter 7

I was admittedly excited to accompany Ricky and my brother on their party errands, but Robin quickly snatched me by my locker after school and insisted that she and I had more important responsibilities to attend to, ergo, choosing our outfits for the party.

"Sorry guys, she's coming with me," Robin mused as she dragged me along beside her.

I couldn't ignore the look of disappointment on Ricky's face as we glided past him and Alexander, especially compared to Alexander's blatant disinterest.

Robin noticed too.

A while later, I sat on her bed, watching her throw items in and out of her closet.

"I know someone who wishes you weren't spending the afternoon with me," she teased, standing in front of her body length mirror, holding a blouse in front of herself.

I rolled my eyes but didn't bother hiding my grin.

"How's this?" she asked, showing off a maroon coloured peplum with a low-neck line.

"Perfect for you," I tell her.

"I thought so. The boobs will look great in this one."

I nodded. Another thing Robin possessed that remains an impossible dream for me.

"Okay I'm set. Now what about you?"

I naively stared down at the outfit I'm already wearing. Ripped jeans and a white t-shirt. "This...?" I asked warily, unsure of what reaction to expect.

Robin shook her head. "Nuh-uh. You can't wear something you wore to school today! It has to be something no one has ever seen you in."

"We don't have time to go shopping now!" I protested.

"We don't have to, you can just wear something of mine."

I scoffed. "I don't think anything you have is going to fit me. You're at least 5 inches shorter than me."

"We'll find something," she promised.

Robin and I decided on a dark pink cross top and a pair of skinny dark jeans. Robin dug up an old padded push up bra from the depths of her dresser and insisted I wore that as well. While the shirt fit fine, the jeans were skinnier than anything I was used to and were unpleasantly at least two sizes too small for me. The bra didn't exactly feel agreeable, either. 

I don't mind showing a little bit of skin, but the padded bra with a part of my stomach showing felt a little bit revealing. Someone like Robin could pull it off flawlessly, but I was having trouble convincing myself that I looked my best. 

"You look like you could be in university," Robin told me, which forced me to reconsider my stance on the outfit. I had been trying to look and act older, and if that was the way to do it, then so be it.

"I love it," I told her finally.

Robin grabbed both my hands and looked earnestly into my eyes. "I'm so proud of you," she said like a mother standing with her child after their graduation.

"For what?" I asked, laughing slightly.

"For everything. Throwing the party, wearing this outfit..."

On cue, my cell phone rang, and I saw Ricky's name pop up on the screen. I froze. I've had Ricky's number on my phone since the day my mom bought it for me, and not once had I ever seen it pop up like this. Ricky never had anything to say to me that Alexander couldn't just tell me himself.

"Hello?" I answered, as Robin inched toward the phone to listen in.

"Hey, Anastasia. Me and Alexander are heading back now. We'll be at his house, I mean, your house... in a few minutes."