Chapter 17

Valentino brought Valeria to one of his favorite restaurant near the heart of Rome. It was by no mean a five-star restaurant, but it had a really breathtaking scenic atmosphere. The place was cozy and welcoming. The Italian family restaurant was run by a three generations family, whom Valentino found was quite charming. The place had almost everything from coffee to wine, of course, they would rather reserve the wine for dinner. They were lead to the second floor of the restaurant since the first floor was pretty much full, and lead to one of the seat which was right next to the window, where they could see people walking around on the street from above. It was not the best view one could have, if she was to be honest, but they were not really there for the view. They were there for the food and overall experience.

The day was truly unexpected but she guessed she did not mind it as much, after all being with Valentino was comforting. She knew she should not feel that way. She should have found comfort in being with Alessio instead, but she could not herself. Who could decide where their heart would settle in?

Soon after they were settling in, the waiter came and politely asked them about what they would like to order. After looking at the menu, Valeria ordered herself some pasta e fagioli while Valentino settled for some cheesy lasagna. Valeria was staring out the window, while he much preferred to stare at her beautiful face, which sooner or later caught her attention. She flashed him a relaxed smile, asking him what he was doing. He returned her smile by taking her hand, and gently squeezed it. Valeria thought she would hate the gesture, but she did not, she actually started to not mind Valentino's affectionate gesture toward her, which in reality frightened her a bit.

"You know, Valeria, I still do not understand how you can be so beautiful. What did your mother eat when she was pregnant with you? You beauty truly terrifies me. You make my heart beats in a way it would not for anyone else. You are such a dangerous woman, Valeria. You have tortured me and offered me bliss at the same time, tell me, are you an angel sent to reward me, or punish me?" he flattered. Those words nearly sounded poetic to her ear. She had no idea Valentino was such a charmer. Guess he also had his fair share of smooth talking trait from the family.

"Valentino, do not speak of such words. You only make me flush further, and it is not appropriate considering I am an engaged woman" she tried to maintain a serious face when stating it, but could not help but grin. This was how he knew she was no longer as tense as before. He hated it when she was tense all the time, Valeria should be happy and relaxed, she was the most beautiful when she was just living the moment and enjoying life.

"You know, Valeria, actually I have taken you on this date because I have something to tell you, but don't worry, we can keep that until the end of the date" Valeria was confused for a moment but she shrugged it off. Soon the waiter brought the food to their table. Valeria took her first bite out of the meal. Valentino stared at her as he took a bite of his own.

"How does it taste?"

"It's good, a bit savory, but good nonetheless. What about yours?" she asked. Instead of explaining everything, he brought his fork in front of her lips. She stared at it for a few seconds before he spoke.

"Try it" Valeria was hesitant at first but eventually lost herself to the delicious scent. She took a bite from his fork and tasted the cheese melting on her tongue.

"Hm, it's really good" she gasped. Really, she should have ordered it instead. He smirked as he took another bite out of his lasagna with the fork which had just touched her lips. Of course, Valeria noticed this, she blushed a little but pretended not to react.

"Oh yeah, speaking of which, how are you coping with your return to Rome? I heard you are working for your family business now"

"Yes, they made me the creative director of the company"