𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐤𝐞𝐬.

Spencer Reid certainly didn't fit in with the rest of the Forklea population, everything from his long hair to his FBI badge to his mismatched socks labelled him as an outsider

Spencer Reid certainly didn't fit in with the rest of the Forklea population, everything from his long hair to his FBI badge to his mismatched socks labelled him as an outsider. Perhaps the refreshing difference that he offered was the reason that Esther was almost relieved that it was him on the other side of that door.

Well that and the fact that it wasn't a psychopathic murderer on the other side.

The kitchen knife in her hand had suddenly seemed heavier when it was the first thing that Spencer's eyes flickered to when Esther had opened the creaking door.

'Way to make yourself look like a fucking killer,' she thought bitterly.

"Miss Beckett?" Spencer asked in a questioning tone, his eyes still flickering between the knife and her face.

An awkward smile bloomed across Esther's faces, the kind of smile you make when your teacher would catch you cheating on a test or when your mom walks in on you smoking a joint for the first time (that experience and subsequent conversation quickly put Esther off ever trying to smoke at home ever again).

"Hey, uh please come in," Esther said as she quickly put the knife down on the small table next to the door, it clattered from her hand as if it had suddenly burnt her.

"You can call me Esther." She smiled at him and opened the door wider.

Spencer stepped through the open door just like her had done the previous day, except this time the other agent, Jennifer, Esther thinks her name is, wasn't with him. She watched as he glanced around the small entry way into her home, Esther thought it was like he was analysing it although she supposed that was his job.

"So, agent, why are you here?" she asked, "Wait, do I call you agent or something else... it's a bit weird, I'm not gonna lie to you."

"You can call me Spencer," he said in a quiet voice, a gentle smile grew slightly on his face. "I'm just here to ask a few more questions in light of the recent attack."

"Is Carrie alright?" Esther asked as she led Spencer into the kitchen so she could at least keep an eye on the food whilst Spencer asked her his questions.

"How did you know it was Carrie?"

"News travels fast in this town," she pulled a chair out from the table and sat down, "Jack Atkins told everyone in the diner this morning."

An odd silence settled over the pair as Spencer nodded slightly before pulling a chair out and sitting down opposite Esther. She hoped her food would somehow cook faster so shed have an excuse to break this awkward silence that had consumed them.

Spencer clearing his throat drew Esther's attention away from a kitchen tile she had suddenly found particularly interesting and back to him.

"So, did you know Carrie well?" he asked.