𝐒𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐞.

Once upon a time, Damian Tate had been popular

Once upon a time, Damian Tate had been popular. Damien had been one of those boys who seemed to just charm everyone, one of those boys who could get away with murder.

And for a while, that's exactly what he had done, he had gotten away with murder. But as Esther watched him squirm in his chair in the interrogation room in the understaffed police station, she doubted if the man she had known since high school really had it in him to murder people he had once been friends with.

"Do you actually think it's him?" She asked Spencer as he stood beside her with his arms crossed over his chest.

He had driven her to the station at her insistence whilst the rest of his team had gone to grab Damien from his home. That had been hours ago though and the coffee Emily had given her was growing cold in its Styrofoam cup.

"We tracked the caller, Esther. It was him." He replied, watchful eyes locked onto the nervous movements of the man trapped in the room.

"He just doesn't look like what I expected the killer to look like, you know?" Esther shrugged.

"Often these people look just like us, that's what makes them hard to catch." Emily sad as she walked up next to Esther and joined them in watching Damien.

A silence fell over the group after Emily had spoken. Esther supposed what she said was true, killers didn't have some physical feature that set them apart from everyone else, they were just like her.

From the other side of the glass Esther watched as agents Morgan and Hotchner questioned the man who Esther had once deemed a friend. To her it looked like he was denying it, there was something in his eyes that just seemed out of place to her, frustration or maybe it was innocence, that feeling nestled its way into her gut. Deep down she knew that this man was not the one to have killed all of those people.

"he's maintained that he's innocent." Agent Hotchner said as he excited the small room, Morgan following soon after him.

"Garcia is pulling up the phone records, he can't deny those." Spencer replied, drawing his eyes away from the glass.

"No, he can't." Agent Hotchner replied before he walked away.

Morgan shrugged his shoulders at the group that was still gathered around the window.

"JJ is interviewing Carrie's parents again with Rossi, I'm gonna make my way to the hospital to see what they know."  Morgan said, grabbing his jacket from where it rested from the back of a nearby chair and shrugging it on. Esther still wasn't sure of his first name.

"Alright," Emily replied, walking away from the window, and sitting down at a desk full of files and beginning to flip through some. "I might double check these files, see if Tate pops up anywhere in them."

Spencer and Morgan both nodded before Morgan walked out the same way Agent Hotchner did.

"Do you want me to take you home? Its late." Spencer asked, turning to Esther.