𝐅𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐢𝐧.

Spencer's silence after Esther's question had filled the room

Spencer's silence after Esther's question had filled the room. It seemed to almost choke her, the exact opposite of the comforting silence that had been present in the car ride from the police station to her home.

Esther wasn't sure just how long the silence would've continued for if it hadn't been for the shrill dial tone of Spencer's phone, something that Esther now associated with bad news and dead bodies.

"Sorry, I have to take this."  He said, almost apologetically as he already began to raise his cell to his ear.

Esther shook her head lightly, "It's alright."

He gave her a small smile, stood from the sofa, and walked to the kitchen.

"Okay. Yeah I'll be right there." Spencer's voice travelled inn the silent house.

The one half of the conversation she could hear made Esther wonder what the call could be about. Had another body been added to the ever-growing pile?

"Hey, Es," Spencer called as she heard his footsteps leaving the kitchen and returning to the living room, "Do you have someone you can call to come over? Carrie just woke up and I have to get to the hospital. I'd feel better leaving you if I knew someone was coming to stay."

The fact that Carrie had woken up out of her coma so suddenly shocked Esther, maybe there would be a break in the case after all.

"Oh, right," she said as the shock wore off, "I could try Regan maybe."

"Great."

Esther grabbed her home phone from where it had been put after all the cables had been plugged back in properly. She dialled the familiar number, at this point she was pretty sure her fingers remembered the sequence of numbers of their own accord.

The phone rang for a while before it was finally answered.

"Hello?" Regan's familiar voice came from the other end.

"Hey, its Esther." Esther replied.

"Oh, hey!"

"I was just wondering if you wanted to have a sleepover. Like we used to?" Esther twirled the cable around her finger as she spoke, a habit she had developed in high school and had never broken.

"Yeah sure, I'd love that. I can bring over some scary movies if you want?" Regan offered. 

"Sure! Be here asap?" Esther asked, although she knew that Regan was probably already shoving her shoes on and halfway out the front door.

"You got it." Regan replied before hanging up.

Esther placed the phone back on its stand before folding the blanket she had been wrapped in previously and throwing it back over the back of the sofa.

"Is she coming?" Spencer asked from where he had been standing for the entire duration of the conversation. His body seemed ridged, stiff – Esther knew that whatever Carrie had to tell the Agents would only make them more tired than they all already seemed to be.