𝐁𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐬.

Esther clutched the phone she had snatched from the side-table she had run past in the hallway during her sprint to the kitchen

Esther clutched the phone she had snatched from the side-table she had run past in the hallway during her sprint to the kitchen. It shook in her hands as she shakily dialled the number Spencer had given her, she could only pray that he would answer before Jack and whoever else was there got to her.

She had hidden in a stupid place, she knew that – behind the counter could barely even be considered a real hiding place, but it was the best she could do right now.

She held the phone up to her ear and heard Spencer panicked voice come through the speaker.

"Esther" he said, his tone urgent. She could hear sirens in the background and the roaring of an engine.

"They're in the house." She whispered, her voice was wobbly and her throat thick. "They killed Regan."

"I'm nearly there, okay? Its gonna be okay Esther. I'm not going to let anything happen to you." The words came through the phone quickly, like Spencer had word vomit or something.

"I know." She heard the tell-tale creak of the last step. "I have to go." She hissed and quickly hung up.

"Come out, come out wherever you are." Jacks taunting tone was the only noise that filled the house. Esther was sure that if it wasn't for him speaking then they'd be able to hear her heart beat straight out of her chest.

The taunting made her chest tighten so much it felt like a rubber band inside of her was gonna snap. She couldn't be scared anymore, she couldn't cower behind this counter top whilst they stalked her in her own home, whilst her friends body was laying in her basement.

She peaked over the counter, seeing the backs of the two murderers disappear into the dark living room. When she was certain they had walked all the way through the door frame Esther shot up and ran to the knife block next to the oven. She had dropped the dagger-like knife after she had stabbed Jack.

She grabbed the biggest knife in the block and hid behind the kitchen door, she hoped she could catch them off guard and stab her way out of this one.

"You stabbed me real hard, Esther." Jacks voice was closer now, and despite the blood that Esther presumed was running down his shirt he sounded like he was having fun.

He was having fun hunting her down.

Tears welled in her eyes, hot and burning. Esther bit down on her lip to stop any noise from escaping – she couldn't just let them find her. She couldn't let Spencer find her dead body on the ground.

"Shut the fuck up." A different voice spat. It was familiar though, it wasn't distorted like it had been on the phone and upstairs – it was exactly how it had sounded on her porch and in the police station.

"Damien?" She let it slip without even thinking, cursing herself afterwards.

She heard their footsteps quicken and enter the hallway. She ran from behind the door and back to the side of the counter, trying to put as much distance as she could between herself and them.