𝐇𝐞𝐥𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠.

The ringing home phone had been the centre of attention when Esther and Spencer had arrived home after eating together at the diner

The ringing home phone had been the centre of attention when Esther and Spencer had arrived home after eating together at the diner. The darkness that encapsulated her home seemed to make the shrill ringing even more unnerving as the pair edged their way further into the house.

Realistically, there was no need for either of them to be paranoid, after all it was just a regular dark house – Esther was sure that her lights being off had nothing to do with being on a serial killers hitlist and yet nervous energy seemed to roll off both of them like tsunami waves.

"Hello?" Esther asked into the phone once she had finally picked it up.

"Hello." An unfamiliar voice replied from the other end of the line.

Esther looked up at Spencer then, she was sure her furrowed eyebrows were enough of a give away for him to know that this wasn't just a regular phone call.

"Hello?" She repeated.

The voice on the other end of the line confused her, it just seemed so unnatural and yet so ordinary at the same time. She watched as Spencer dug out his cell from his pocket and walked through to the kitchen.

"Who is this?" The slightly distorted voice asked. Esther almost sighed in relief, maybe they had just gotten the wrong number.

"Who are you trying to reach?" Esther asked, she didn't want to give whoever this person was her name just yet.

"What number is this?"

"What number are you trying to reach?" She could feel panic bubbling in her chest.

First a hitlist and now a creepy phone call? She hoped it was just Nate pranking her or something although she would've recognised his voice anywhere.

Spencer had wondered back into the living room; his own phone pressed firmly against his ear. The two stared at each other as the voice on the other side started to speak again.

"I don't know." The voice seemed to drawl out.

Esther paused for a second, wondering how the actual fuck is she meant to answer that. Even if this person wasn't the psycho terrorizing the town, it was still a weirdo who gave weird responses.

Spencer gestured with his hands for her to speak again.

"Well, I think you have the wrong number." She finally replied.

"Do I?" The voice seemed almost amused by Esther's answer.

Spencer made a gesture with his hands signalling it was alright for her to end the call.

"It happens, take it easy." She replied curtly before hanging up.

She sent a panicked look over to Spencer who had crossed the room and sat in the leather armchair beside the home phone, his own cell phone still pressed against his ear.