Escapade.

Althea, Kaeden and Tank marched along with the crowd at the protest. The boys were in their gear and helmets, towering over her. Kaden's dreadlocks were bouncing on his back as he walked. Stick with them and you'll be fine, she remembered as she nervously scanned the crowd behind her. As always, they were at the very front of the crowd, approaching the line of cops layered in swat gear.
Just like the day she first met them, Tank was shouting protests at the cops at the front while Kaeden spoke to news reporters and photographers. She shuddered and continued to hold her sign up and make her way to the front. As she neared, she saw a girl, around her age, shouting at the cops, who slowly became more provoked. Soon enough, they snapped and pushed her to the ground, causing the protestors to yell at the cops. They began to secure their masks and pull out their guns, full of rubber bullets. Althea felt the blood drain from her face as she frantically looked around for Kaeden and Tank, but they were nowhere to be found. Suddenly, a loud bang followed with screams echoed across the street. All of the protestors began to run back as more shots rang. Althea ran to find shelter, spotting the girl that she saw earlier tending to some wounded people. She ran to her.

"Oh my fucking god," She shrieked over the noise of the people screaming in the distance, realising that the person she was tending to was Tank. He had his gear and helmet off, and was wearing the same outfit as he was wearing earlier that day. He had a large bullet wound on his chest, just above his stomach. From what she could see, it had just sunk into the surface of it, and needed to be removed. The girl was doing all that she could to help him, but stopped when she noticed Althea.
"Friend of his?" She stared at Athena, who just nodded, speechless.
"You can stay here with him and keep him company, I've cleaned the wound but he'll need to see a proper doctor asap." She stood up and walked to the next wounded person, holding a towel to their shoulder.

Althea stared at Tank and cursed. Why didn't she stick with him? And where was Kaeden during all of this? She took her hand and stroked his face, outlining his jaw. She took a moment to notice his facial features, and how peaceful he looked. He slowly opened his eyes and stared at Althea, trying to sit up but wincing when she pushed him back down.
"What were you thinking idiot?" She screamed, tears forming in her eyes. Tank tilted his head apologetically.
"I tried- Saving-" He groaned and slumped down. Althea shook her head, feeling a salty tear run down her cheek. Tank lifted his hand to Althea's face and wiped her cheek.
"I'll be fine," He took her hand.
"Sure as fuck you will," She opened her phone and dialed 911 with a shaky hand, asking for an ambulance.

***

Althea watched Tank sleeping peacefully. He was laying in a hospital bed on the third floor of the hospital. She had taken an Uber there, as they wouldn't allow her to be inside of the ambulance. She had called Kaeden and told him about Tank, and he had said he was on his way. Althea held her head in her hands.
"Hey, it's okay," Tank whispered in a hoarse voice. She pushed her chair forward and leaned down, stroking his hair and shaking her head.
"You better get well soon," She muttered as Tank took his hand and placed it on her cheek, wiping her tears as she sniffled. They both leaned forward at the same time, only to be surprised by the noise of someone clearing their throat. Althea turned around sharply and saw Kaeden standing in the distance, a grim expression on his face.