Chapter 9: An old Wolf

*Song lyrics are italicized*

Song name: Hurt By: Johnny Cash

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Many years later...

"You know the rest." Ayu stated to The two commanders who sat at the fire with her.

"Seven more years of bloody war."

"Apollyon played us all. One against the other. For what?" A new voice spoke up a viking warlord by the name of Stigandr. 

"To weed out the weak." Holden stated.

"Why did you call us here. Cross?" Ayu spoke up walking over to the two warriors.

"I didn't. I was sent. By the new Lord Warden."

Holden hummed for a moment.

"To make amends." He finished staring a Stigandr.

"How dare You!" Stigandr shouted as he backhanded Holden making the Lawbringer hit the ground.

Quickly, Stigandr grabbed his sword and pointed it at Holden.

"Thousands of my people. Dead." Stigandr growled in rage.

"Well. Here is your chance for vengeance." Holden stated unafraid.

"We've shared our stories, like your 'Lord Warden' requested. Now--why are we here?" Ayu interjected.

"Peace." Holden stated simply.

Stigandr growled and stomped away pacing in the room.

Ayu helped Holden up

"'Peace'." Ayu asked doubtfully as she too began to pace the room.

"Even if it were possible--we're no peacemakers!" Stigandr growled out

"Is it an unworthy goal?" Ayu asked Stigandr.

"Well. No--but.."

"Is this how it starts ?" Stigandr asked slowly.

"It would have to start with us." Ayu responded hopeful.

"We will die in this attempt. You know that." Holden stated slowly letting those words sink in.

Stigandr stepped forward.

"But it would make a worthy tale." Stigandr said hopeful that the possibility of peace was somewhere out there.

As they made preparations to plead for peace from their lands Ayu stopped Holden.

"Any word from (Y/n)? In the years he had left..." Ayu asked unsure how to approach the subject all of them missed him dearly.

"When he left in grief of...her he exiled himself no one knows where he went and no one has heard from him since." Holden stated solemnly

Ayu closed her eyes she missed him just as much as Okuma, Momiji and The Orochi did. Opening her eyes again she looked up at the stars wondering where on earth he was and hoping he had not died from grief.

Far away to the Northeast in the Valkenheim mountains a lone silhouette stood at the peak of a snowy hill his hair had started to be peppered with white hairs showing age and wisdom a medium length beard now adorned his face. The large scar on the left side of his face a vivid reminder of how he gained that wisdom and...at what cost. 

(Y/n) slowly made his way down the hill his body not as agile and quick as it was before from age and years of warfare.

A rabbit was slung over his shoulder it wasn't the biggest game out here nor was it as big as most were but it would do for now he was quite astonished his snare had actually worked.