Chapter 3

10 years later

Knock, knock, knock , KNOCK.

" Allie!!, Allie!!, I got your mail!" I groan, opening one eye and then the next. I am pretty sure that is my sweet old land lady. She is a bit nosy but her heart is in the right place, sometimes.

I quickly slink out of my bed, bedhead, ratty t shirt and all
" Give me a minute, Lola please !". " Well, I give you a second! " she said teasing me playfully. I swing open my door to find a wizened petite lady standing in my door way. Her eyes round with mischievous energy. " I think this one is the one" she pipes. " I hope so, Lola" I say to her as I receive the thick envelope. With a hop to her step she makes her way to the upstair apartment of my neighbor to deliver some more mail. I smile as i see her disappear from view.

I hope to be as happy as my land lady when I get old. I close my door and start inspecting the envelope, quickly drawing in a deep breath before flipping it over.

Important documents enclosed: Final divorce decree

I blink a few times to make sure I am reading it right. I am finally free of that bastard. My stomach does a happy flip before my stupid heart slowly sinks, heartbroken. 20 years of being married and he never once acknowledged that he was being abusive toward me.

He was flabbergasted when I sent someone to serve him the initial divorce petition. He called me on my phone that day belligerent saying how he treated me soo good and that I was making a big mistake. There was no need to wait any longer for me at least. All of our children are grown and away at college.

I had saved some money in a college fund for them over the years. We had mutually agreed through the mediator that the money is theirs to keep. The house was sold, cars divided between us, and any investments were equally distributed.

Since there is a New administration in power there have been some changes. Now laws have been stream lined and updated. No longer are there 250 year old laws being arbitrarily used. Obscure language has also been done away with when sentencing people. But that is nothing compared to some of the advances we have made by bypassing the bureaucracy and lobbyists that plagued the system.

My divorce took a mere 6 months instead of years of litigation back and forth. Even though I am free of the marriage I am not free of the person yet. Sometimes I had been sure I have seen him watching me from a far but when I look back to search for him, nothing.

I had moved to a different town to avoid running into him and frequently change routes to get home.

I have been renting out the first floor of a guest house that has been split into two separate apartments. The land lady lives in the front part of the property in a large red brick victorian styled house. 

My upstairs neighbor is generally quiet most of the time. I have only seen her once before when I was moving in.

She had helped with moving my mattress that day and I was struggling so hard with the floppy thing. I had tried to drag it to the doorway and my plan was to cut the thick plastic off in the living room before shoving it into my room to play tetris with the dang cumbersome thing. 

I was midway to my front door when I hear someone shuffle closer. " Hey , do you need help?" A sing song voice asked.
" yes, please" I replied. I stop my pathetic struggle, waiting for directions from the other side of the mattress. " I got one corner, lets lift together in 1, 2, 3 "

From there it was an easy transition walking from the front all the way to my room. We slam the mattress on the frame.
" wheww , thanks for helping me" as I take a good look at my good Samaritan. She is very tall, brunette, and athletic looking.
" any time, I've got to go though" she shrugs sounding slightly breathless. I called out a thank you loudly after her as she walked out.

I am glad that this apartment is a  pretty unusual accommodation. Its not everyday a guest house is divided up to become an apartment for tenants.

Its all single women that live here and the driveway to get to the back residence requires that you pass through the front of the house gate. Though I'm not sure that will keep my ex out.