13. Lew "Chuckler" Juergens; A Pretty Picture

"To remember me by." You pressed the small photograph into Lew's large palm.

His smile reached his eyes as he bent down to rest his forehead against yours. "No way I'm forgetting you."

"You better not," you grinned. Putting a hand on his chest, you felt his heartbeat. "But just in case. I don't want you falling for some pretty nurse while you're away fighting, alright?"

He planted a kiss to your forehead and stood up straight. "Never."
__________

Unbeknownst to you, you had made it across the ocean. Or rather, your image had. Lew kept your photo as close as possible. You had been through training with him, on a ship, and on every island he hopped onto. You had been in every pocket of every article of clothing he had.

He had never been one for secrets—it wasn't his nature—but you were personal. He kept your little photo to himself as best he could.

It was the day Leckie came back from the medical facility that you were discovered. He had opened the book Leckie brought for him and tucked the square image between the first couple pages.

"Wait a minute," Runner's astonished voice rang out. "Who is that? And how come we've been stuck together on this shithole for this long without ever having seen that photo?"

Hoosier perked up from his cot. "Is it some broad you picked up in Melbourne?" He waited a moment before adding, "Did you pick up a broad in Melbourne?"

The three men—Runner, Hoosier, and Leckie—stared at their buddy Chuckler expectantly.

"I'll have you know that she is a very special person from back home," he stated, closing the book. "And that's all I'm telling you."

The others exchanged glances. Leckie was willing to leave it be, but Runner and Hoosier were itching to make a number of lewd comments.

"Aw, come on, Chuckler," Runner prodded. "We won't tease you too bad."

"Speak for yourself," the blond across the tent scoffed.

"Okay, I won't," Runner corrected.

Hoosier, in his nonchalant way, bluntly decided to say, "Just tell me you fucked her before you left."

Chuckler frowned, his face burning red. "I'm definitely not telling you that."

"Aww, Chuckler's sentimental," Hoosier laughed.
__________

You got him through his toughest moments. He wanted to write, but he was never the best with words. And he wasn't sure what he would tell you anyway.

Dear Y/N,

I got shot at again today. Also, it smells like dirt, sweat, and shit on this island. I hope you're well.

Love,
Lew

That just didn't sound like the kind of thing you wanted read, so he decided he'd fill you in when he made it home. If he- No. He was coming home to you.

You were there when his closest buddies had all but been separated from him. When he felt most alone—and scared—he pulled out the little snapshot of your smiling face, pressing it to his lips and putting it back in a safe place.

"Y/N," he mumbled to himself, to God, to you. "I'll be back before you know it."
__________

That smile of yours was waiting for him at his parents' house when he finally did come back.

You had been sitting with his mother, as you had often done while he was away, but the second you saw him through the window, you flew out of your seat. Throwing open the door you practically tackled him.

His mother was hardly containing herself. "Oh, Lew!" was all she could manage.

You couldn't have held him tighter if you tried. Your arms were wrapped around his neck, and his were holding you at the waist, just as tight.

It was a moment to be immortalized. Had a camera been present, this would have been such a pretty picture.

I was in a Chuckler mood the other day and slammed this out. I love Chuckler, but he's genuinely the older brother I always wanted. The best big bro vibes. M'kay.

~Mariah