Chapter 16

Detective Jordan

I pull myself out of the trance and lower my gun. I hobble back to the house and see they've switched the lights on. "Miles!" Grant walks up to me and slaps my head. "For fucks sake! I thought you were dead, you idiot!" I stare at him and he pulls me into his arms. "Thank you for not being dead." I groan as he puts pressure on my stomach. He pulls away and sees my stomach. "That fucki-"

"G-guys?!" Elizabeth calls out. Grant and I make our way slowly to her. She's on the ground next to Sarah but she's sobbing. I look at Sarah and my heart sinks, her eyes are wide and her mouth open.

The sounds of the ambulances and police in the distance, but it's too late... she's gone... I'm about to say something when I hear a groan coming from back inside the house. Me and Grant whip our heads back to the house and limp back inside. I can see the damage now.

The porch is covered with blood and knives, Sarah dead with the blade in her chest, the rest of us covered in blood and wounds. Some have the knives still sticking out.

By the door, Percy is lying in a pool of blood. There's a trail of blood, from me I suppose, leading to the back door, then I spot it. Next to the battered table covered with bullet holes, there lies a very bloodied Jill. Clearly she's dead...

Another groan. I raise my gun. Maybe it's Reginald? I step behind the counter and find Sylvester. I quickly put my gun away and lean down to him. Me and Grant untie him, he doesn't have a scratch on him. "Sylvester?" I say softly, his eyes are blinking but he is still groaning.

"Mmm?" He hums after a while of us shaking him gently. The ambulance arrives and we lift him up and carry him to it. He didn't see Jill... even though with each step both me and Grant are in agony, we know that he needs to get out of the house before he sees the havoc.

We set him in the ambulance and we take a breather. "I... I just couldn't..." I croak out and Grant Rubs my back.

"Miles... you didn't have a choice..." I don't believe him. I blame myself.

"Should've known that it was a fuckimg setup..." I snarl out as images of Sarah, Percy and Jill's bodies flash through my mind. "I should've pulled the da-"

"Sir we need to take you to the hospital..." I turn my eyes to the man. "We need to take you all..." he looks to Grant. "You can ride together if you want?" I groan but nod. "And the lady will join you as well..." we climb into the ambulance and wait.

Elizabeth climbs in with a hiss and she sits infront of me and my heart clenches again. Her eyes are red and puffy, her cheeks are flushed and she's trembling. Without thinking I pull her into my arms. She shrieks out in pain but wraps her arms around me. I try not to wince at the pressure against my stomach. I fail not to do so but I don't pull away.

She starts sobbing some more. "I'm so sorry Liz..." I can't say her full name so I shorten it because of all the emotions running through me. "I'm so so sorry..." a few tears betray me and escape my eyes. I haven't cried. I don't cry. The last time I cried was at my parent's funeral. I haven't cried since then.

Grant is baffled with seeing me crying, he hasn't seen me cry. Never. I've seen him cry. But him see me? Never. Maybe choked up but never tears.

"Miles... I-I should h-ha-" I silence her and rub her back.

"You couldn't have done anything..." I say softly in her ear. "I... I should've known it was a setup..." I take a breath and calm myself even though on the inside all hell is breaking loose. "I should have just gotten her address. If I did then Sarah would still be alive..." I choke out.