Helmet [Lando Norris]

This has been in my drafts for over two months now lmao

~~~

Dear Lyssa,

              Congratulations on winning Lando Norris' British Grand Prix helmet competition...

That was all Y/N had to read before she charged upstairs and barged into her little sister's room. Lyssa was seven years old and in March when McLaren announced they were holding a helmet design competition, both Y/N and Lyssa jumped at the chance to design a helmet. Y/N had been a long-time fan of Formula One and McLaren and had introduced Lyssa to the sport last year and since then she'd been in love with it.

"Lyssa!" Y/N shouted with glee, a large smile on her face as she caught sight of her little sister playing with her toys on the floor, "You won! You won Lando's competition!" Lyssa's eyes lit up with happiness as she through her arms up into the air to celebrate. She jumped to her feet, collided with Y/N's legs as she tried to reach up and grab her phone to see for herself. Y/N lowered herself to sit on the bed and read out the full email while Lyssa hurtled herself onto the bed beside her.

...as part of your prize, you have been awarded a paddock pass for yourself and one other person...

"Lys, we get to go see them in real life!" It would be Y/N and Lyssa first time at a race, never mind being in the actual paddock. It would be a quick turnaround as the British Grand Prix was being held in just a week's time and so Y/N was quick to get on the phone and tell her work that she'd need the time off.

For Y/N, telling work was simple and almost bliss in comparison to having to tell her parents. At first, it was a firm no. Silverstone was simply too far away for Y/N and Lyssa to travel to alone, their dad had said if he could get tickets then they'd be able to go, but all the tickets were sold out, and so they were back to square one. It was only when Lyssa came into the kitchen in tears at the thought that she might not get to attend, did their parents allow them to go. A bright smile took over Lyssa's tear stained face when they said she could go. Trust her parents to call defeat at the sight of a crying seven year old.

The sun was shining, and it was bright and early on a Friday morning that they arrived at Silverstone, having stayed at a hotel the previous night. They were set to meet one of the McLaren representatives outside the paddock at 9am who immediately brought them through and over to the McLaren hospitality. Lyssa's eyes wondered around in amazement, people were everywhere, it was so busy. She was geared up in McLaren team wear that she'd received for Christmas while Y/N had simply decided to wear a jump suit and a McLaren hat. The hospitality was beautiful, but so busy with many people milling around. Y/N's train of thought was interrupted by a member of McLaren, "Y/N and Lyssa, right? Our competition winners?" Lyssa nodded frantically as Y/N gazed upon her sister with a lingering smile as she took in how happy she was, "Alright, we've organised a tour of the garage for you." Lyssa's smile grew more, if that were possible, and she excitably jumped up and down, clapping her hands until Y/N grabbed her hand to not only calm her down but also to stop her from running off, which didn't last long because as soon as Lyssa eyed the garage in the distance, she had sprinted off in said direction.

"Lyssa! Come here!" Y/N shouted after her, but was drowned out by the sound of the mechanics practising their pit stops around them. Y/N sped up her pace, not wanting to run and attract all kinds of attention, only coming to a halt as she entered the McLaren garage and eyed Lyssa who was currently talking to Lando Norris. The Lando Norris, as in the McLaren driver. He was bent down on his knees talking to her, seemingly enraptured by all she had to say while Lyssa spoke endlessly until she eyed Y/N from the corner of her eye and motioned her to come over with wild hand gestures causing Lando to turn and see what she was motioning to. "Y/N, over here!" With a small, timid smile Y/N manoeuvred around the garage to their location. "This is my sister, Y/N." Lyssa introduced Lando to her, "She loves you." Y/N's eyes went wide and she opened her mouth to object.

"Does she now?" Lando said with smirk while trying to contain his giggles, "And who designed my helmet-" Lyssa cut him off by flinging her hand into the air. "Well, it's amazing, I love it." Y/N sent a grateful smile in his direction when he redirected the conversation.

Y/N and Lyssa spent the next hour until Free Practise 1 started talking with Lando and Carlos, who had joined not long after Lyssa had blurted Y/N's secret, and then they were escorted to the hospitality to watch the practice.

In the middle of FP1, Lando came storming into the hospitality. He had crashed in practise after being having his rear wing hit by Daniil Kvyat. He was steaming with anger and Y/N watched helplessly as he charged into his driver's room, slamming the door behind him. The hospitality was silent for a few moments as everyone continued to stare at his door until Jon walked through and into his room.

Practise ended 30 minutes later and eventually Lando came out of his room only to sit down beside Y/N. He let out a loud sigh and leaned back against the seat. He had changed out of his race suit and into some more casual wear consisting of a McLaren polo shirt and some tracksuit trousers. "I'm sorry about practise." She turned to look at him, he too turning his attention to her, a faint smile appearing on his face as he nodded solemnly. It was silent for a bit until out of the blue, Lando looked at her, "What are you doing tonight?"

"Nothing, why?" Y/N didn't want to get her hopes up that someone like Lando would actually want to hang out with her.

"Would you like to go to the cinema with me?" a faint redness was evident on his face, whether that was from the heat or shyness, Y/N wasn't sure, but a smile encompassed her face anyway.

"I'd love to- I can't," At his crestfallen face, Y/N continued, "I can't leave Lyssa by herself." He nodded understandingly.

"Why don't I come to your hotel room tonight to watch a movie?" He suggested and Y/N couldn't contain the smile on her face as she adamantly agreed with him.