Part 17

"Shit." Tom muttered beneath his breath as he looked at his reflection in the store window. He was across the street from the non profit, having found it impossible to really stay away.

It wasn't that he wasn't willing to stay away from her, he understood the importance; it was just that he needed to be sure she really was safe.

Because he was afraid she'd come looking for him, a lot like she had the last time, he'd sent her a couple of messages here and there, letting her know that he was very busy with work and wouldn't be able to see her for a while. How did she respond? By inviting him over for Christmas dinner.

Jesus, this woman was a saint. Sure, they had only just started dating, but he knew she was really thinking about him sitting home by himself. After all, Vera was aware that his parents were dead and he really didn't any family besides Edwin, who was likely to go to the beach with friends as he did every year. He knew that her invitation wasn't about trying to pressure him into being around her family, it was about him. When he read it, he smiled, thinking what a lovely thing it would be to have Christmas dinner with Vera and her family.

But the only thing he could really reply was that he would try. There was no way he could actually go. Instead, he'd resorted to sneaking around and catching glimpses at her from far away. It wasn't creepy, he told himself, he was just making sure. 

Marco had assured him that Luke had men watching the Reid family but so far he hadn't been able to spot a single one. As much as he looked, there wasn't a single person he could suspect as being there to keep an eye on Vera. Either Luke's men were really good or they weren't doing what they were supposed to. It made him nervous, it made him uneasy, especially as now he caught a glimpse of a man he did recognize, a man he knew worked for Samuel. He stood leaning against the brick wall of the building, his phone in his hands as if he were sending a text message but really, he was smiling at Tom. He was letting Tom know that he was watching.

Tom turned, facing the man straight on and nodding in acknowledgement. Then the man tucked his phone into his pocket before very leisurely striding away. Tom was still, he could feel his heart pounding rapidly in his chest. This wasn't right. If Luke's men were watching, how could they let him get so close? He reached into his pocket- he would contact Marco, he would let him know what he saw.

"Fuck." He blurted out. Marco probably wouldn't be happy to hear that Tom was watching Vera. He'd been clearly told to stay away. Tom hesitated for a moment before he heard his name.

"Tom!"

"Vera." He said, looking up and catching her as she crossed the street towards him. He didn't move, didn't think, only watched.

"Hey! You should have told me you were coming by." She said with a smile, reaching out and kissing his cheek as she approached him. He didn't respond, confused, surprised, and annoyed at himself in equal measures for having been caught. He should have left.

"I wasn't sure I could." Tom said, looking around and catching a glimpse of the man who was still lingering about nearby.

"Something wrong?" Vera asked, turning to look in the direction he was facing. "See someone you know?"

"No." He said, turning to look at her, finding that she had slipped her hand into his quite naturally. "No, I thought I did but... wrong person."

"Oh." She said, "Well, I'm glad you were able to come by. I just finished up- want to grab a bite?"

"Yeah, that sounds good." He said, pulling her along down the street and trying to get her as far out of the man's sight as he could.

"Woah..." Vera said as Tom took long, quick strides down the sidewalk. "Hey..."