Chapter 32

RECAP:

"Were you following me?" 

"I'm always behind you, Vivs. Always."

"Yeah, I know."

-Vivian-

"We should probably head back, Steven." I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Thanks for always being there for me."

As I was walking back towards the service, I noticed that there was no one following. I turned around and stared at Steven curiously while he just blankly stared back.

"Are you coming?"  I called.

He looked off to the side deep in thought.  I saw his jaw clench, as he silently muttered something to himself. I was never good at mouth reading but it fell somewhere between "Don't be a dick." to "Dude, she's a chick."  While I was debating over which he said, he turned to me with a clear intensity in his eyes that wasn't there before.

"What's the difference, Vivian?"

I looked up from his mouth and saw a sharp anger boiling beneath his gentle demeanor.

"Difference of what?"

"Look, I know this isn't the most practical of times, but I want this settled here and now. Is it because you've had some twisted one side love for him for so damn long? Or is it the mistreatment that attracts you? What is it?"

Looking down at the ground, I let out a pitiful laugh. "Steven, I'm honestly over it. All of it." 

"Are you really?" 

"Yes, really." I cocked my head to the side, "Is it bad that it took me this long to realize that?"

He shook his head in silence. The wind picked up and he walked over to give me his coat. His calloused hands brushed my arm as he placed it over my shoulders. Looking up, I saw how his brown hair was beginning to curl at the ends, and his face looked more masculine with the 5 o'clock shadow. He looked different.

"Go out with me."

It took a while for me to register what he had just said, "W-what?"

"If you're really over him then go out with me."

"That's a bit straightforward there, Steven."

"That's the only way you get what you want, Vivian. What's holding you back?"

I was about to answer, but the familiar voice of my best friend pulled me back to reality.

"What was that back there? Are you alright?" he huffed. 

I looked behind him and saw Alise standing near the parking lot in the distance, staring at our exchange.

"Vivian, you didn't answer my question."

I turned back to Steven. "I was going to sa-"

"Everyone's getting ready to leave now, maybe you want to catch a ride with us?" Richard asked.

"Don't turn away from me." I looked up at Steven, only to realize that his eyes had never left me in the first place.

"I may not have known you for ten years, or even met your parents yet. Hell, I don't even know what your favorite color is, but I want to be able to call you my only. I want to smudge that pretty, red lipstick you insist on wearing everyday. I want you to realize that there's more out there, and I want to be the one to show you." He paused, "So, Vivian, will you...go out with me?"