CHAPTER 9

How could I be so fucking obtuse? The clues were always there, but I ignored them like a fool just because they didn't fit in the realm of reality. My reality. How is it even possible that these monstrosities even exist? As much as I want to be with Elijah, this shit is beyond confusing, and I'm not sure my maturity is on the level to handle it. Suddenly, everything that I knew and believed didn't make sense, and when someone's reality has been threatened, what do they do?

Freak the fuck out.

I started hyperventilating, pacing back and forth, mumbling, 'he's a werewolf' or 'This shit isn't real,' trying to force myself to find some rational explanation for what I saw. Feelings of nervousness, regret, and disgust hit me like a direct blow to my stomach, causing me to falter. I forgot I could feel his emotions. I put my freak-out session on hold to determine the deal with this fucker.

"Why the hell are you so disgusted with me?" I snarl.

His back stiffened, "Just like you can feel my emotions, I can feel yours. Not to mention, you project your thoughts more when you're not so guarded. You are nervous, scared, angry, confused, hateful—all the things your kind love to feel for anything different from them. I can hear you thinking of ways to get away from me from here. If I'm not mistaken, the thought of impaling me with something crossed your mind." He growled.

He could feel my emotions but didn't understand the thought process. I tightened my fists and stomped toward him.

"You bet your ass I feel all those things, and do you know why?" My finger poked his chest, "This is like handing me a piece of a UFO from Area 51 and expecting me to be lucky to be happy knowing that something vastly inferior to me is out there. Who is to say you want to kill me or your pack won't kill me, being that I am different from them? How in the hell could I not be nervous after seeing a giant fucking wolf that could rip my arm off like it was a chew toy?" I paused, taking a breath. "My thought of stabbing you was just a knee-jerk reaction of me being terrified you would physically hurt me. This is twenty-twenty, and don't think for a God damn second that I'm about that racist bullshit. I would never dishonor hating you because you are different from me, whether species, race, religious beliefs, or anything in between. Jesus, I'm just scared out of my mind right now, and I am honestly trying to process this the best I can. You're my mate, and despite being freaked the fuck out right now, I still want to be with you, dummy."

I waited for him to say something, but he just stared at me as if I had just spoken Chinese to him, which started to piss me off, causing my agitation to increase. Just when I opened my mouth to say something, he pulled me in for a bone-crushing hug—rocking me back and forth as he kissed the top of my head.

"Helena, you are the most important thing to me now and forever. I would never hurt you; no one here will ever hurt you. Hearing you call me your mate is everything to me." He pulled me back, keeping my hand locked with his as he led me back to the house.

"Wait, what about Daisy?" I asked.

"Don't worry, my love. Daisy is discreetly listening in on our conversation. She wants to speak with you, but I ordered her to stay away until I could explain everything first."

"What? Ordered her to stay away? Elijah, if my friend wants to talk to me, why does she need your permission?"

"She is a member of my pack, and when I give her a direct order, she can't disobey. I must speak to you and explain our world before she indirectly fucks something up."

Whenever I think I have no more questions to add to my list, he shoots my dream in the damn hole. I decided not to fight him, so I didn't pull away when he resumed walking us toward the patio doors. Soon, we were in the same office I had just bolted from. I grabbed the bottle of cognac, pouring myself another half a cup. Sitting in my chair, I leaned back, motioning for him to do the same.