CHAPTER 13

PLEASE COMMENT, VOTE, AND SHARE. LET ME KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT THE BOOK SO FAR. I LOOK FORWARD TO ANY FEEDBACK. THANKS, AND LOTS OF LOVE TO THE PEOPLE THAT CONTINUE TO READ!!!!!!!!!!

Running through the dark forest while on this beast was a feeling like no other I had ever experienced. The adrenaline pumping through my human veins was intoxicating and dreadful at the same time. The wind ripping through my hair was as comforting and familiar as being wrapped in my favorite cover at home. On the other hand, the dashing and sudden rush of the trees was not so usual, and it left fear in its wake.

Elijah took a giant leap over a cliff that overshadowed a long winding river, and the mere thought of me plummeting to my death was rooted clearly in my thoughts, causing my hand to grip tightly into his fur. He abruptly stopped once we were through the thin layer of trees leading us to an off-beat path.

"Relax, my love. I promise you are safe with me." His voice sounded in my head as if he had spoken the words out loud to me.

"This oddly seems familiar to me, like Deja-vu." I laughed.

Elijah's body tensed under my words, causing a frown as my eyebrows were drawn in confusion.

"Can you feel it too, Elijah?" I asked a question, but it came out more like a statement.

I knew he could feel it because I could feel his emotions as if they were my own. I understood now that his feelings were going to be my constant companion.

"The time for answers will come very soon, little one. Let's get you back to the estate where I can warm you. We will continue this conversation when it's just us." He said with such authority that left no room for questions.

After a few moments of peaceful trotting on his back, his estate came into view. My heart lifted at the site, and I immediately thought 'home' and breathed a sigh of relief. One that I didn't even know I was holding, much less aware of. I missed this place in just a space of a few hours.

"Yes, my love, we are home." I couldn't mistake the adoration inflicted in his deep voice.

Something in my peripheral caught my view, and it was only then that I noticed the other wolves starting to descend from the forest behind us. Holy shit, how could I not at realized they were following us. Of course, Elijah wouldn't have left without backup, especially if he thought I was in trouble.

He stopped before the patio door, bending down so I could climb off his back. When my feet hit the ground, I smoothed out my clothes and heard the sound of bones rearranging themselves.

I felt warm and strong hands snake around my waist. Before I had a chance to register the movements or get lost in the feel of his body, he had me turned to him, holding me tightly as if I would vanish at this very moment. My eyes made the mistake of finding his. My breath hitched in my throat at his face's beauty and fierceness. Even now, it was hard to understand that this beautiful creature was mine. How stupid was I to once again run from him? From my destiny.

I moved my arms until they were now draped around his neck, my eyes never leaving his face. He started to say something, but I interrupted before he could.

"I love you. I should have never left you, but I just wanted to protect you. To keep you and your pack safe from the troubles I bring to your doorstep. Please forgive me." Tears threatened to pour from my eyes, but I willed myself not to cry. But, to my utter embarrassment, my heart betrayed me, and I felt a cold tear drop down my cheek. His hand swiftly came up, wiping it away with his thumb.

"Sssh, don't cry, my love. Protecting your mate is one of the most primal instincts you will have. Even though I am upset with you leaving, I understand why." He gingerly grabbed my chin, holding it between his fingers, " But you must promise me, little mate, that you will never do this again. Ever. The thought of us losing you again is too much for my wolf and me."