CHAPTER 10

Jesus, I hate the mornings after late-night drinking. My head is throbbing, and the fucking sunlight gleaming from the window is killing me. I let out a low groan covering my eyes with the back of my hand. I feel the bed for Elijah with my other hand, growing irritated that he is not lying next to me. What a cunt for leaving me knowing I would have a hungover.

"Elijah," I whisper his name.

"Bitch, Elijah is not here, but I am."

I open my eyes instantly at the sound of Daisy's voice, and she is standing right next to the bed with a couple of Tylenol and a glass of water, holding it out for me to grab. I give her a quick smirk before tossing the pills in my mouth, chasing them down with the icy water. My head falls right back on the pillow as I make another groan.

"Hmm, we had a few too many last night." She giggles.

"Bite me, wolf girl! You should have joined me so I wouldn't be the only one in such a miserable state. Alcohol doesn't seem to affect Elijah, so he is not a good drinking buddy."

"I hate to break it to you, sweet cheeks. I will be the same way as well. Our systems have a higher tolerance for human alcohol. We usually mix it with some of our liquor to feel the effects more."

Great, they have specific werewolf liquor that only they can drink. I can imagine drinking it and laughing at the thought of being a mess after one sip. That reminds me, I have a lot to ask Daisy. I hope she will be more honest with me since she concealed the most critical piece.

"Daisy, why didn't you tell me your werewolf? Did you think I wouldn't want to be your friend if I knew your true nature?" I asked.

I can see her struggling to respond, and I wait patiently for her answer. I understand why she didn't, but still, I want to hear the reason from her.

"It is forbidden to tell humans what we are, much less than the supernatural world exists. You knowing what you know puts you in danger. I wanted to tell you so badly that I was willing to break with tradition and bore the consequences, but Elijah forbade me. Your safety will always be his number one concern."

Why would my safety be his concern if we started seeing each other? Then, I remember his words in the mall. He trusted me since January twelfth. Why didn't he say anything if he saw me the first day I was here?

"Daisy, why would I be in danger of knowing the truth about the supernatural world? Surely, I can't be the only human who has found this secret. It's not like I will go on CNN and disclose information." I laugh.

"Sweetie, this is not a joking matter. Your leaders, as well as ours, would prefer that the species do not mix. Some have even gone to great lengths to ensure it doesn't happen. We must be cautious about anyone finding out who you are and what you are to Elijah." Her face shows concern written all over it.

"So, no human can be with a supernatural creature?"

"Every species is only allowed to be with their own. It has been that way for centuries, and people that break that rule or punished."

Dammit, why is this shit getting increasingly confusing? The more information I get, the more questions and conflicts arise. Did Elijah know this? If he knew, why wouldn't he tell me how dangerous this is for him? For me?

"How do you feel about me being with Elijah knowing that I am just a human?" I genuinely wanted to know. She cares for him as a sister would care for a brother. Would she hate me knowing that I am putting him at risk?

She sits on the bed next to me, setting her hand on top of mine. "Helena, you're my best friend, my Luna, and I would do anything to protect you and him. Everyone here is fully aware of the situation. Trust me; you have nothing to fear from us." She smiles. "How do you feel about us not being human?" Her face suddenly looks wary of my response.