Chapter Two: Siege

With Vanessa's disappearance, the statue lost part of its glow. Looking at it, Relma felt it looked a bit sad there, all on its own. Upon further examination, she saw that vines were growing up. A crown of flowers was upon her head.

"Well, this sounds like a jolly good quest we've set out on now," said Wrynncurth ruefully. "Still, I'd best first send a message to King Tyus. He'll need to know the details of this place."

"I'm going to start a fire, Relma; come with me," said Estela. "Jomas, guard here."

Relma nodded and turned from the statue to follow Estela. Together, they began to make their way out of the cathedral, looking for wood. Estela, however, seemed bothered by something, and her eyes kept darting around as if expecting an attack.

"So, things seem to be going well here," said Relma after a moment.

"How are they going well?" asked Estela bitterly. "We'll have to go to find this Conquista of Anoa. It's going to be even more work."

"Well, at least we'll be able to learn more about this region. It could help future missions," said Relma.

"Not really," said Estela. "Queen Vanessa is sending us on this mission to eliminate us. She just doesn't want to give Wrynncurth a flat refusal. This is what we call an impossible task."

"Well we just need to achieve it," said Relma with a shrug. "Then it won't be impossible anymore."

"Yes, you do that," said Estela as they came to the city's edge. The wood stood far below them. "We're not going to find any wood here, are we?"

"We could head into the woods over there?" said Relma, motioning to them.

"And risk the undead?" asked Estela.

Everything was getting colder. Relma shifted. "I guess, but it's getting cold. We do need wood.

"Want to get Jomas-"

"No," said Estela flatly. "The less he's involved, the better. Now let's go."

"Estela, he is your fiancee," said Relma. "Maybe-"

"Don't say it," said Estela. "My only hope is that he dies on this mission as quickly as possible."

And they began to walk down.

"That's a horrible thing to say, Estela," said Relma after a moment.

"Maybe, but it's the only honorable way I'm getting out of this mess," said Estela. "Come on."

They made their way down the slope toward the trees. As they did, Relma kept a hand on Lightning Trail, the sword of her ancestors. She didn't expect it would be of much use, but Relma wasn't very good at fighting. Mostly, she'd used the thing as a symbol and divine channel, which was pretty good.

The trees rose around them, and Estela halted and leaned against a tree. "There's the sticks.

"Relma, gather them. I'll stand watch."

"Right," said Relma.

Estela didn't like manual labor, and somebody needed to play guard. So Relma began picking up sticks wherever they had fallen. As she did, she noticed the air was very dry, and the ground was the same.

"Hmm..." said Estela.

"What is it?" asked Relma.

"These trees are very dry," said Estela. "It's like this forest hasn't seen any rain in a long time. A lot of these trees are dead.

"Some sort of curse, no doubt."

"Maybe we can break it," mused Relma.

Then she saw a walking corpse coming around the tree, hands outstretched. The mouth of the creature was open in a silent moan as mottled hands stretched out. "Estela!" cried Relma. "Look out!"